Ottawa homeowners are responsible for maintaining the private portion of the water and sewer lines connecting their property to the City’s water and wastewater systems. Here are seven things you should know before buying a protection plan for your private water and sewer/septic service lines:
- The City of Ottawa has partnered with Service Line Warranties of Canada (SLWC) to offer Ottawa homeowners protection plans to help cover repair costs associated with their water and sewer/septic service lines. SLWC is an accredited Better Business Bureau organization with an A+ rating and is solely responsible for the administration of the program.
- Homeowners are responsible for repairs to the portion of the water and sewer service lines (including the stormwater sewer service line) located on their property. If a leak, break or clog occurs in the private portion of either of these lines, the homeowner is responsible for hiring a plumber and paying any of the associated repair costs.
- Water and sewer/septic service lines are subject to changing soil conditions, ground shifting, corrosion and especially to the cold temperatures we typically see during Ottawa’s winters. Repair or replacement can cost hundreds to thousands of dollars depending on the nature of the work required.
- Repairs to private water and sewer/septic service lines are not typically covered by basic homeowners’ insurance and are not the City’s responsibility. In the event of an issue, homeowners simply call SLWC and a local, licensed and insured plumber will be dispatched to make all covered repairs at no charge up to the service call benefit amount.
- Ottawa homeowners soon will receive information about SLWC’s program in the mail. No employee of the City of Ottawa or SLWC will knock on your door to sell this protection plan.
- Participation in this new program is optional and voluntary for Ottawa homeowners, and more information on the program is available by contacting SLWC at 1-844-958-0069 or visiting plansforottawa.ca.
- Additional information and FAQs on the City’s partnership with SLWC are available at ottawa.ca/slwp.