This site uses JavaScript. Please enable JavaScript in your Browser and reload the page to view the full site.

City remains in state of emergency as initial flood recovery begins

May 24, 2019
Announcements and Events

The City of Ottawa begins flood recovery operations this weekend with wellness visits, garbage collection and assessments for homeowners who have issued requests for assistance.

Although water levels may recede slightly over the weekend, the City remains in a state of emergency and residents are urged to leave sandbag walls intact.

Additional information about sandbag collection will be made next week, including a call for volunteers. In the meantime, please keep unused sandbags away from the road. Removing sandbags from your property prematurely can impede flood recovery operations.

Recovery operations this weekend

  • Starting Saturday, the City of Ottawa will begin a special garbage collection schedule in flood-affected areas.
  • Starting Saturday, and continuing for an estimated two weeks, City staff from Ottawa Public Health and Building Code Services will conduct wellness visits to homes in flood-affected areas, to answer questions and provide information to residents.
  • All homeowners who need support and assistance with flood remediation work inside their home, or with the dismantling of sandbag walls, may now submit online requests for assistance. Each request will be assessed by a member of the NGO Alliance of Ontario or from Sauvetage Bénévole Outaouais - Ottawa Volunteer Search and Rescue. Those assessments begin Saturday.


Keep boats away from flooded communities

Please stay off the Ottawa River in and around the areas impacted by the recent floods. Boating close to shore may cause wakes which contribute to additional damage to homes and flood barriers.

Leave electrical work to professionals

If your power has been disconnected, contact an Electrical Safety Authority (ESA) Inspector. Each home will have to be assessed before being reconnected by Hydro One. Homes that have experienced more serious flooding will have to hire a licensed electrical contractor. Residents should hire only a licensed electrician and avoid door-to-door salespeople. Hydro One and the ESA are responsible for restoring power and have more information about how to reconnect your home including a list of licensed electrical contractors in your area.

For more information on City programs and services, visit or call 3-1-1 (TTY: 613-580-2401). You can also connect with us through Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.

Public Inquiries


Media Inquiries