Ottawa – Local food producers and businesses will share some of the best that rural Ottawa has to offer at the Mayor’s Rural Expo and Food Aid Day on Thursday, June 2. All proceeds will support the Ottawa Food Bank’s efforts to supply nutritious local ground beef to those in need.
Deputy Mayor Bob Monette and Michael Maidment, the Executive Director of the Ottawa Food Bank, will co-host this annual event, taking place on Festival Plaza at City Hall, 110 Laurier Avenue West, from 7 a.m. to 2 p.m.
“Although Ottawa is sometimes associated with government institutions, the high-tech industry and tourism hotspots in the downtown core, the communities of our many rural areas are every bit as important to our resilient economy and to the diversity of our local culture,” said Mayor Jim Watson. “As we celebrate the amazing rural-urban blend of communities that make Ottawa such a rich and inviting city, this is also a chance to come together to help those in need by supporting the Ottawa Food Bank.”
What to look forward to at this year’s expo:
- Enjoy a pancake breakfast (by donation), supplied by Stanley’s Olde Maple Lane Farm from 7 to 9 a.m.
- Visit displays by local rural business, festivals and artisans at the Mayor’s Rural Expo, from 8 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Explore Ottawa’s music scene with live entertainment by talented local musicians, including Blackwell Band.
- Cheer on your favourite celebrity at the cow-milking competition, at 10:30 a.m. and 12:30 p.m.
- Grab a BBQ hamburger, chips and a drink for lunch ($10), prepared by The WORKS from 11:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m.
“With support from this event, Food Aid has been able to provide nearly 800,000 pounds of local beef to the most vulnerable members of our community,” said Mr. Maidment. “We are grateful that residents are so willing and eager to raise funds like this, year after year, to support local families in need through the Ottawa Food Bank.”
If you are unable to attend in person, consider donating online at ottawafoodbank.ca or by calling 613-745-7001. Visit ottawa.ca for details about the Mayor’s Rural Expo. Learn more about the Ottawa Food Bank at ottawafoodbank.ca.