Beginning on Sunday, April 24, Montreal Road will be reduced to a single westbound lane from St. Laurent Boulevard to Vanier Parkway until approximately mid-September 2022. These lane closures are needed to complete the Montreal Road revitalization project.
Workers will continue to replace aging underground infrastructure, including watermain, sections of sanitary sewer, storm sewer and the roadway. Construction of surface features will also continue this year, including concrete sidewalks, cycle tracks and landscaping.
Eastbound traffic, including cyclists, will be detoured to McArthur Avenue via North River Road and Vanier Parkway, connecting to St. Laurent Boulevard. Visit ottawa.ca for more information.
OC Transpo routes will be modified as illustrated in the graphic below. Some segments of Montreal Road will have two-way traffic predominantly for the use of buses. Visit OCTranspo.com for more information.
Parking and local access
On-street parking will be prohibited along Montreal Road between Vanier Parkway and St. Laurent Boulevard. Various side street closures will also be required. Access to and from existing driveways will be maintained along Montreal Road in the westbound direction only. Montreal Road between North River Road and Vanier Parkway will continue to operate as a two-way road, but with some parking restrictions as work progresses.
Pedestrian crossings will be maintained around the work and signed detours will be in place. Pedestrian access to local businesses and private properties will also be maintained. Montreal Road businesses remain open during construction.
- For information about the project, including up-to-date traffic impacts, visit the Montreal Road revitalization page on ottawa.ca.
- For regular project updates, sign up for the Montreal Road revitalization e-newsletter.
- To contact the project team, email email@example.com.
The Montreal Road project budget is $64 million and includes the following improvements:
- Burial of 900 metres of overhead hydro lines
- Construction of two kilometres of new road, cycle tracks, curbs, sidewalks, watermain, storm and sanitary sewer
- Installation of Rogers and Bell utilities, streetlights, 11 signalized intersections and overlay of Vanier Parkway between Montreal Road and McArthur Avenue
- Implementation of the Vanier and Montreal Road Public Art Plan, as well as three public areas (Dupuis Street, Emond Street and Bradley Avenue)
- Improved transit accommodations, including bus shelter and benches
- Significant landscaping and streetscaping improvements, including more than 80 additional trees, approximately 1,800 shrubs, 6,000 square metres of paver stones and 11,000 square metres of concrete sidewalk
For more information on City programs and services, visit ottawa.ca, call 3-1-1 (TTY: 613-580-2401) or 613-580-2400 to contact the City using Canada Video Relay Service. You can also connect with us through Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.