On Sunday, April 26, Rideau Street will close between Sussex Drive and Dalhousie Street until the end of 2020. This closure is needed to renew Rideau and William streets. Work on Rideau Street includes improved sidewalks, cycling and transit facilities, benches, bicycle parking, pedestrian lighting, landscaping and more. Work on William Street includes an improved pedestrian experience, with seating, trees, lighting and bicycle parking.
Work on William Street between George and Rideau streets will start in early fall. The project will be completed by the end of 2020.
Pedestrian crossings will be maintained through the work and signed detours will be in place.
Transit service detours
- During the closure of Rideau Street, OC Transpo bus routes will be detoured to serve stops nearby.
- Routes 5, 12, 14, 16, 17, 18 and 114 will serve bus stops on Mackenzie King Bridge.
- Routes 6 and 7 will serve bus stops on Daly Avenue at Nicholas Street.
- Overnight service on Routes N39, N45, N57, N61, N75 and N97 will be available at bus stops on Rideau Street at Dalhousie Street, and overnight Routes N57, N61 and N75 will also stop on Mackenzie King Bridge.
- O-Train Line 1 and Rideau Station will remain open.
- Visit octranspo.com for more information.
- For information on STO services, information is available at sto.ca.
- Visit ottawa.ca/rideaustreet.
- Sign up for the Rideau-William renewal e-newsletter.
- Follow the City on social media:
- Twitter: @Ottawacity
- Instagram: @cityofottawa
- Facebook: City of Ottawa / @cityofottawa
- Listen to traffic reports from local news media.
Thank you to residents and businesses for your continued support and patience during this construction project.