A section of Highway 417 will be fully closed in both directions on Saturday, July 28 until Sunday, July 29. Significant traffic impacts are expected from 5 pm on July 28 to 11 am on July 29. This closure is required for the demolition of the Harmer Avenue Pedestrian Bridge.
Highway 417 will be closed in both directions from Bronson Avenue to Carling Avenue. During the work, the following eastbound on-ramps will be closed: Carling, Parkdale and Maitland. The following westbound on-ramps will be closed: Catherine, Rochester, Parkdale, Lyon and O’Connor.
The following detours will be in effect during the closure:
- Westbound motorists must exit the highway at Bronson Avenue onto Catherine Street
- Proceed via Catherine Street, which becomes Raymond Street, westbound to Booth Street
- Proceed via Booth Street southbound to Carling Avenue
- Proceed via Carling Avenue westbound to the westbound Highway 417 on-ramp at Kirkwood Avenue (west of the fire station)
- Eastbound motorists must exit the highway at Carling Avenue and continue east to Bronson Avenue
- Proceed via Bronson Avenue northbound to Chamberlain Avenue
- Proceed via Chamberlain Avenue eastbound to Isabella Street
- Proceed via Isabella Street eastbound onto the eastbound Highway 417 on-ramp at Metcalfe Street
The public is advised to plan all trips well in advance as significant delays are expected during the closure. There are many other transportation options including OC Transpo, carpooling and other alternative forms of transportation to get around the city while this closure is in place.