Short-term rental permits provide consumer protection and peace of mind - Archived

Archived content

This page has been archived and will not be updated. It can be used for reference purposes but it is possible some links no longer work.
Published on
March 10, 2022
Business, economy and innovation
Home and community

Property holders, who want to rent their principal residence or secondary vacation property, like a cottage, for short-term rentals, must now register for a permit and provide the necessary requirements – providing consumers protection and peace of mind.


Short-term rental permits

Short-term rental properties are permitted for primary residences in urban neighourhoods and rural villages and secondary properties in other rural settings, like a vacation home or cottage. The City’s short-term rental permit, which becomes an enforceable requirement on April 1, requires the property holder to meet the criteria and provide key information to the City and customers:

  • Contact information of the property owner, holder or manager for any urgent need or requirement
  • Proof the property the urban or rural village property is a principal address
  • Proof of ownership of a secondary property
  • Proof of insurance
  • Registration on a short-term rental platform
  • Floor plans of the residence, along with all the exits
  • Approvals from any condominium corporation or property owner, should the permit applicant is renting the principal residence.
  • Listing of the number of bedrooms to ensure the numbers of guests do not exceed capacity limits
  • All the necessary emergency contact information, such as 9-1-1
  • Listing to the customers of the City’s bylaws – such as noise, parking and property maintenance regulations

A short-term rental host can also hire a third-party to act as a property manager, but consumer-protection requirements must also be met, including:

  • Contact information
  • Criminal check
  • Proof of insurance

Individuals, who are interested in making their urban principal address or secondary urban residence available for short-term rentals, must acquire a permit starting Friday, April 1.

Landlords, condominium corporations and housing cooperations may prohibit short-term rentals of their properties. In order to do so, they must apply to the City for a prohibition.

Permit applicants and short-term rental customers can visit for more information about short-term rental permit applications and by-law – including all the requirements and permit fees.