October 16, 2020
Fall is here and for many of us, it’s time to start raking up all those leaves and cleaning up that yard waste. Here are a few things to keep in mind:
- Use compostable paper yard waste bags, a garbage can or cardboard boxes when setting out leaf and yard waste for collection. This way materials can be processed at the City’s outdoor composting facility on Barnsdale Road.
- Leaf and yard waste is not collected at the same time as your regular waste. During peak leaf and yard waste seasons in the spring and fall, collection can continue until as late as 8 pm. Please keep yard waste at the curb on your regular collection day.
- Please ensure containers and bundles are no more than 15 kg (33 lb.) in weight. Let’s keep things manageable for our waste collectors!
- Bundle your branches properly before placing them at the curb next to your leaf and yard waste bags. Branches should be tied in bundles of less than 1.2 m (4 ft.) in length and 60 cm (2 ft.) in width. Individual branches should be less than 10 cm (4 in.) in diameter. Wire, duct tape and plastic twine will not be accepted. Please use biodegradable material such as twine or string instead.
- You can also leave grass clippings and leaves on your lawn and garden. They act as a natural mulch and many insects use them for winter cover.
- The following items will not be collected:
- Leaf and yard waste in plastic bags
- Anything ver 10 cm (4 in.) in diameter
- Earth, rck or sod
- Lgs or stumps
- Leaf and yard waste mixed with ther waste
Find out more about leaf and yard waste collection.