The full rehabilitation of Elgin Street is scheduled to begin in early 2019. In advance of the City’s work, Bell Canada is upgrading their underground infrastructure, which is deteriorated and in need of repair. This work is essential, and needs to take place before the City begins its underground infrastructure renewal in 2019.
The work will be staged so that lane reductions and on-street parking impacts are limited to the area where the work is taking place, and will not affect the entire length of Elgin Street. Access to businesses and storefronts will be maintained at all times, and residents and visitors are encouraged to continue to support the businesses during construction. Beginning on July 16, free parking is available at the City Hall parking garage located at 110 Laurier Avenue during weekday evenings (after 6 pm) and on weekends until completion of the major construction work on Elgin Street.
The second phase of Bell Canada’s work, between Cooper Street and Gloucester Street, is nearing completion. The third phase of Bell’s work will take place between McLeod Street and Isabella Street, with a second work area at Gloucester Street for manhole repair.
Upcoming impacts beginning July 16
McLeod Street to Isabella Street
- No parking on Elgin Street from McLeod Street to Isabella Street
- Traffic on Elgin Street will be reduced to one lane in each direction between McLeod Street and Isabella Street
- No access to McLeod Street from Elgin Street
- No parking on McLeod Street between Elgin Street and the eastern segment of Metcalfe Street, beside the Museum of Nature
- Mcleod Street will be temporarily adjusted to two-way traffic between Elgin Street and the eastern segment of Metcalfe Street, beside the Museum of Nature
- No parking on Argyle Avenue between Elgin Street and the eastern segment of Metcalfe Street, beside the Museum of Nature
- Traffic on Argyle Avenue will be reduced to one lane eastbound from Elgin Street to the eastern segment of Metcalfe Street, beside the Museum of Nature
- No access to Gloucester Street from Elgin Street
- No parking on Gloucester Street from Elgin Street to Metcalfe Street
- Gloucester Street will be temporarily adjusted to two-way traffic between Elgin Street and Metcalfe Street
- Elgin Street southbound will be reduced to one lane of traffic at the intersection with Gloucester Street
These restrictions will be in place until expected completion in September 2018.
During 2018, OC Transpo service will be maintained on Elgin Street during construction with some bus stop relocations. Please be aware that some service delays may be expected because of this work. Please check OCTranspo.com for up-to-date route information.
For more information on City programs and services, visit ottawa.ca or call 3-1-1 (TTY: 613-580-2401). You can also connect with us through Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.