As approved by Council in May 2017, Elgin Street is scheduled to be rehabilitated, beginning in early 2019. The existing City of Ottawa underground infrastructure, some of which dates back to 1874, has reached the end of its service life. This work is required to ensure that integral City services will continue to be delivered to residents and businesses in the area.
In advance of the City’s work, Bell Canada will be upgrading their underground infrastructure, which is deteriorated and in need of repair. This work is essential, and needs to take place before the City begins its underground infrastructure renewal in 2019.
One lane of traffic in each direction will be open on Elgin Street at all times. The construction will be staged so that lane reductions and on-street parking impacts are limited to the area where the work is taking place, and will not affect the entire length of Elgin Street. The work will not impede access to any businesses or storefronts on Elgin Street.
- Beginning Monday, March 12, traffic on Elgin Street, from McLeod Street to Waverley Street, will be reduced to one lane in each direction, to accommodate the first phase of Bell Canada infrastructure upgrades, which will last approximately eight weeks.
- Parking will be prohibited on Elgin Street, from McLeod Street to Waverley Street, and on Frank Street, from Elgin Street to Metcalfe Street.
- The west side of the Frank Street and Elgin Street intersection will be closed to vehicles.
- Frank Street will temporarily become a two-way road between Elgin Street and Metcalfe Street. Access to Jack Purcell Lane will be maintained at all times.
- The west side of the Gladstone Avenue and Elgin Street intersection will be reduced to one lane in each direction.
- These restrictions will be in place until the first phase of Bell’s work is complete. Further traffic accommodations will be communicated for the other phases of Bell’s work, which will continue until fall 2018.
During 2018, OC Transpo service will be maintained on Elgin Street during construction with some bus stop relocations. Please be aware that some service delays may be expected because of this work. Please check OCTranspo.com for up-to-date route information.