The City of Ottawa has issued a Request for Qualifications (RFQ) for the Confederation Line and Trillium Line art opportunities. Artists have until April 24, 2019 to indicate their interest in developing art for the Confederation Line East/West Extensions and until May 1, 2019 to develop art for the Trillium Line South Extension.
Public art will enhance the transit experience for the many individuals, neighborhoods and communities across Ottawa that will benefit from Stage 2 LRT. The Stage 2 Public Art Program will see artists design and implement public art within five separate sections of the alignment:
- Confederation Line East: One artist team will integrate art into Montréal, Jeanne d'Arc, Place d'Orléans, Orleans Blvd and Trim stations.
- Confederation Line West #1: One artist team will integrate art into Westboro, Dominion, Cleary, New Orchard and Lincoln Fields stations.
- Confederation Line West #2: One artist team will work to integrate art into Moodie, Bayshore, Pinecrest, Queensview, Iris, and Baseline stations.
- Artwork projects will be created through a community and social engagement process for the Byron Linear Park & Richmond Road Complete Street Initiative.
- The Trillium Line will feature new digital media artworks to enhance the user’s experience. One artist/artist team will be selected by an external selection committee to create new digital media projects in various spaces throughout three feature stations along the Trillium line: Gladstone, South Keys and Bowesville/Earl Armstrong stations.
Stage 2 will change the way we move around Ottawa. It will add 24 new stations and 44 kilometres of rail extending the O-train network farther south, east and west. That means shorter commutes, cleaner air, and a stronger economy. When complete, more than 77% of residents in Ottawa will live within five kilometres of rail. As with the Confederation Line, the City is looking to deliver a substantial public art program as part of the Stage 2 LRT project.
To learn more about Stage 2 public art opportunities, visit ottawa.ca.