Skip to main content

Who do I call for my flood recovery needs?

May 24, 2017
Feature Stories

Many of the services you need to recover and return to normal life after the spring flood can be addressed by contacting the City of Ottawa. Depending on your inquiry, other utilities and government agencies may have more information for you. Your first call should always be to your own insurance company.

Call 3-1-1 or refer to for questions relating to:

  • Fire hydrants
  • Property tax deferral
  • Returning to your home after restoration (Building Code Services and Home Inspections)
  • Sandbag removal
  • Ontario Works Emergency Assistance
  • Tree removal (on City property)
  • Volunteering
  • Waste collection
  • Household hazardous waste collection
  • Well water quality testing

For other flood recovery questions…

Financial assistance


Natural gas

Conservation authorities

  • Rideau Valley Conservation Authority, Ottawa Septic System Office, 613-692-3571 or 1-800-267-3504, or visit
  • Mississippi Valley Conservation Authority,613-253-0006 or visit

Debris clean-up

  • Call your insurance company first
  • The City of Ottawa is aware that the following organization is available to provide services to residents:
    • Samaritan Purse 1-844-547-2663.

This organisation is not endorsed by the City of Ottawa. The resident is required to contact them directly.

Need help coping?

  • The Distress Centre  answers calls 24 hours a day, seven days a week, with crisis line specialists providing confidential support. Callers can reach the Centre at 613-238-3311.
  • The Mental Health Crisis Line  answers calls for people ages 16 or older 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Callers can reach the line at 613-722-6914. 
  • Tel-Aide Outaouais offers French-language mental health telephone support from 8 a.m. to midnight every day. Ottawa residents can call 613-741-6433 and Gatineau residents can contact 819-775-3223.
  • The Walk-In Counselling Clinics provide free, confidential single session counseling sessions throughout Ottawa
  • Ottawa Public Health Information at 613-580-6744 (TTY 613-580-9656).
  • 211 (link is external) connects callers to community, social, government and health service information in Ottawa 24 hours a day, seven days a week. The service is free, confidential and multilingual
  • The Community Health and Resource Centers provide many services including counselling.  To find your closest center, visit

Public Inquiries


Media Inquiries