Information for development applicants
PDF Documents - Download in .pdf format and read it with Adobe Acrobat.
Please note that you are quite welcome to contact staff informally before fulfilling the City’s pre-application consultation requirements if you require further information or clarification, or if you are developing land for the first time.
Please contact one of the Planner IIIs if you are uncertain whether pre-application consultation applies to your proposal, or if you have questions related to this process. Use the City’s ward mapping and/or Development Review Areas map to verify the location of your development property.
|Development Areas||Planner III / Pre-application consultation contact:||Manager|
Central (Wards 12, 13, 14, 15, 17)
East (Wards 1, 2, 11, urban part of 19)
West (Wards 4, 6, 7, 8, 9, 23)
Erin O'Connell (A)
South (Wards 3, 10, 16, 18, 22)
Rural (Wards 5, rural part of 19, 20, 21)
An applicant must complete the following pre-application consultation process with the City before applying for any of the following development applications:
- Official Plan Amendment
- Major or Minor Zoning By-Law Amendment
- Plan of Subdivision
- Site Plan Control (subject to public consultation)
- Vacant Land and Common Element Condominiums
- Municipal Concurrence and Public Consultation Process for Antenna Systems
A formal application is required to initiate a mandatory Pre-application Consultation. The fee is not subject to HST.
This fee is fully refundable upon receipt of a development application for the same lands for which the pre-application consultation occurred, provided that the development application is received within (12) twelve months of the date of the submission of the pre-application consultation.
The fee is non-refundable if no development application is submitted within 12 (twelve) months from the date that the pre-application consultation form was submitted.
Although pre-application consultation is not mandatory for all applications, the City strongly encourages applicants to contact staff to discuss their proposal prior to submitting a formal application. If you fail to consult with staff, the City cannot guarantee the completeness or accuracy of your application submission, that may result in processing delays. Discussing proposals with staff will also ensure that the applicant is aware of associated fees, technical requirements, and processing information. The fee does not apply for any pre-application consultations that are not mandatory.
The pre-application process is designed to help promote the exchange of information and development considerations early in the planning process. A key outcome of this process is a customized list of the studies and plans required in support of a development application. Topics for discussion may include land use policies and guidelines, zoning information, public consultation, transportation and engineering requirements, development review, application fees, and other issues. Applicants should review the checklist to assist with preparing their submission for a pre-application consultation.
Below are the general steps of the pre-application consultation process
- If you are submitting a mandatory pre-application consultation form, this should be submitted at one of the City’s Client Service Centres with the required fee.Save an Adobe .pdf copy of the form. Email the form, a simple concept plan illustrating the proposal and the Transportation Impact Assessment Step 1 (Screening) to the correct Planner III with the subject line Pre-application Consultation Request.
- The file lead assigned to manage the review of your proposal will contact you within 3 business days to acknowledge receiving your application and advise if enough information has been provided. If not enough preliminary information is provided, you will be advised to obtain more information and re-submit the application.
- Once the file lead has reviewed the form and made any corrections or additions, they will email you to organize the pre-application consultation meeting. In most cases, a meeting will be held within 10-15 business days following the submission of the pre-application consultation form.
- Be prepared to discuss the proposal in detail at the pre-application consultation meeting. The applicant is strongly encouraged to ask questions and highlight potential concerns during the meeting. Don't be shy about asking questions.
- The staff assigned to review the proposal will email a Study and Plan Identification List to the applicant no more than five business days following the pre-application consultation meeting.
If you require assistance using an electronic application form please contact a development information officer, located at any of the client service centres. You can make an appointment by calling 3-1-1 and asking to speak with a development information officer.
If you would like to speak with planning staff please contact the appropriate development review program manager by calling 3-1-1 or locate them online.