If you suspect that your home was structurally damaged by the tornado, contact a qualified professional, such as an engineer, to assess the situation and provide direction on the required repairs.
An existing foundation may be used when rebuilding a house provided the foundation is in good condition and capable of supporting the imposed loads. A professional engineer may be required to confirm if reusing the existing foundation is appropriate.
Buildings damaged by the tornado are not necessarily subject to a timeline for reconstruction, however access to severely damaged structures, including pool enclosures, must be reasonably restricted to ensure safety. If you have severely damaged structures on your property, please contact Building Code Services at 613-580-2424 extension 29312 or email@example.com.
A property owner must get a building permit prior to construction or renovation. This ensures that the minimum standards for health and safety, fire protection, structural adequacy, energy performance and accessibility are met.
Failure to obtain a building permit for construction may result in enforcement. In the case of a building failure or loss, insurance coverages may be void.
If your home has experienced any of the following, a building permit is required:
- Deformation or deflection of structure, including associated porches, roofs, sunrooms, additions and decks
- Removal or replacement of structural framing, including trusses, rafters, support posts, piers, beams and joists
- Construction or reconstruction of any detached structures occupying a space larger than 10 square metres (approximately 108 square feet) in area on your property
A building permit is not required for the following repairs:
- Replacement of flooring
- Removal of drywall or other interior finish
- Replacement of windows or doors one-for-one in the same location and size
- Replacement of cladding (siding, brick), deck boards or shingles
- Reinstalling displaced exterior stairs, landings or decks that are less than 1.2 metres (approximately four feet) in height from grade
- Reinstalling displaced accessory buildings such as sheds that are less than 10 square metres (approximately 108 square feet) in area
- Repairs to sheathing and shingles
If you are unclear if you need a building permit, please contact Building Code Services at 613-580-2424 extension 29312 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Where to get a building permit
You can get a building permit at any Building Code Client Service Centre:
- 110 Laurier Avenue West
- 255 Centrum Boulevard
- 101 Centrepointe Drive
- 580 Terry Fox Drive
- 8243 Victoria Street
- 5670 Carp Road
- 2155 Roger Stevens Drive
Depending on the age of your home and its location, the City may have copies of the plans for the original construction and/or subsequent renovations. Please contact Building Code Services at 613-580-2424 extension 29312 or email@example.com(link sends e-mail).
Inspections will be scheduled within one business day following a request. Priority will be given to properties where tornado damage has compromised the structural integrity of the dwelling.