This site uses JavaScript. Please enable JavaScript in your Browser and reload the page to view the full site.

Tornado response 2019

Current situation

If you are in an affected area and may have missed this collection, please place the items to curb on your regular scheduled pick up date and contact 311 to advise them of the larger debris.

In the meantime, curbside collection will continue on its normal schedule. Leaf and yard waste, organics and recycling collection will continue as scheduled this week

Note: If you need to dispose of property on your lawn, contact your insurance company for direction. If you are a renter, contact the property owner and your insurance company. Depending on the provisions of your policy, your insurance company may assist with disposal of your items.

City crews are on site monitoring the impacted area, tending to fallen trees and removing debris from roads.

Please contact City of Ottawa's Building Code Services if:

  • You are unsure whether you need a Building Permit
  • Your home or any other structure on your property has experienced structural damage
  • You want to arrange for a Building Inspector to visit your property
  • You have any questions at all about rebuilding, or need clarification on any of these points

Phone: 613-580-2424 ext. 29312, between 8:30 am and 4:30 pm for any Flood/Tornado Building Code Services related inquiries.


The City of Ottawa recommends that residents affected by the windstorm and tornadoes who require support contact a community health and resource centre, such as the Orleans-Cumberland Community Resource Centre, at 240 Centrum Boulevard or call 613-830-4357.

The impact of a stressful event can be immediate or delayed, and those affected directly or indirectly can feel a range of emotions and reactions. Ottawa Public Health can provide information and mental health resources for Ottawa residents and families. Please visit for more information on responding to stressful events or call 613-580-6744 to speak to a public health nurse.

If your home was damaged by the tornado, contact your insurance company. The province is assessing the extent of the damage to determine if they will activate their Disaster Assistance Recovery for Ontarian's program.

To report fallen trees, please call 3-1-1. Get more information about trees and forests after a tornado.


What do I do with items on my property that need to be disposed of?

Contact your insurance company for direction. If you are a renter, contact the property owner and your insurance company. Depending on the provisions of your policy, your insurance company may assist with disposal of your items.

What should I do if I see a potential hazard on my property or in my neighbourhood?

If it is an emergency, call 9-1-1. For all other requests, please contact 3-1-1.

I have a tree on my front lawn - how do I confirm if it is a City tree or private tree?

Contact 3-1-1 and a forestry inspector will visit your property and determine ownership.

I have a pool and the fence around it has come down due to the tornado – what should I do?

This could be a public safety issue. Contact 3-1-1 to connect with the City of Ottawa Building Code Services who can provide you with information on temporary fences.

I have a fallen tree on my private property – what do I do?

Contact your insurance company.

I have a stump on my private property, what do I do?

Resident can hire an insured and qualified contractor to grind private stumps. Here are some tips for hiring a stumping contractor:

  • Ensure that your contractor obtains underground utility locates such as gas and hydro prior to commencement of work.
  • Ensure that your private underground utilities such as landscape lighting and irrigation systems are marked prior to commencement of work by contractor.
  • Ensure that all services that you have paid for are completed by your contractor such as debris disposal and reinstatement with topsoil and grass seeds.

I have woody debris or an uprooted tree stump on my property, what do I do?

Home owners are able to put leaves and branches under four inches in diameter and four feet in length out for curbside leaf and yard waste collection. Woody debris greater than four inches and large uprooted stumps can be placed at the curb. Please email to arrange disposal by Forestry Services.


  • Canadian Red Cross: 1-800-863-6582 /
  • Disaster Recovery Assistance for Ontarians: 1-844-780-8925 /
  • Insurance Bureau of Canada: 1-844-2ask-IBC (1-844-227-5422) /
  • Electrical Safety Authority: 1-877-ESA-SAFE (1-877-372-7233) /
  • Hydro Ottawa: 613-738-6400 / /
  • Hydro One: 1-888-664-9376 / /
  • Enbridge Gas: 1-877-362-7434 /
  • Ottawa Public Health: 613-580-6744 / /