Better Strength, Better Balance! is a fall prevention exercise and education program for people aged 65+. It is funded by the Champlain Local Health Integration Network (LHIN) through Pinecrest-Queensway Community Health Centre, and is a collaborative effort between Ottawa Public Health and Recreation, Cultural and Facility Services.
This is a beginner level program for those wishing to improve their strength and balance. Strong muscles, strong bones and better balance will make you more mobile and less likely to fall.
You are strong enough to participate safely if you can do ALL of the following:
- stand on one foot for 2 seconds
- stand for 20 minutes (e.g. in a grocery line)
- walk one block (100 metres or 325 feet) without becoming out of breath and needing to sit down
- walk up 10 stairs
Better Strength, Better Balance! classes are unsuitable for people who are very active.
Participants attend class twice a week for 12 weeks.
- Classes are progressive, becoming increasingly difficult over the 12 weeks.
- Participants practice exercises at home and review the provided health information related to preventing falls.
- A variety of simple equipment is used, including bean bags, cones, stretch bands, and balls.
The program is offered in the winter, spring and fall
- April 3 to June 23, 2017
- September 18 to December 8, 2017
First time participants can register for the next available session at any time. Call Ottawa Public Health at 613-580-6744 (TTY: 613-580-9656).
Returning participants can register on or after these dates:
- Fall 2017 registration begins August 22, 2017 starting at 8:30 am
To register or for more information please call Ottawa Public Health at 613-580-6744 (TTY: 613-580-9656).
Learn more about staying active as you age.
Download a poster [ PDF - 278.72 KB ] and help promote the Better Strength, Better Balance Exercise Program in your community!
Better Strength, Better Balance! fall prevention exercise and education program now on Rogers TV 22.
- Monday to Friday at 2:30 pm
- Saturday at 8:30 am
Dates and times subject to change. Check the Rogers 22 program schedule for airing dates and times.