The North Gower Town Hall was erected in 1876 by John A. Eastman at a total cost of $2,500. It was the first municipal building of North Gower Township and the centre of local administration and many community events until new township offices opened in 1967. It is a fine example of a modest type of town hall, interesting both historically and architecturally – the latter one-storey and brick-faced, with pleasing proportions and careful detailing and with an unusual cupola.
Restored to serve as the Rideau Township Archives, it was among the first group of township heritage buildings designated under the Ontario Heritage Act. The unveiling of the building’s plaque took place on 16 July 1980. The current exhibition features the initial revitalization of the hall in the 1980s and the current interior revitalization intended to make more usable space for the ever-growing archival collection and library of local history interest.
Location and contact
In-person visiting hours
*Follow building health protocols.
- Saturday, June 3 202310am to 4pm
- Sunday, June 4 202310am to 4pm
Virtual and 3D Tours
This building does not offer virtual or 3D tours.
Amenities and features
- New participant building
- Public washrooms
- Accessible access
- Free parking
- Bike parking
- Family friendly