There is still time to submit a project to receive a 2023 Urban Design Award. The competition is open to urban designers, planners, landscape architects, architects, engineers, developers, artists, contractors, consultants, landowners, students and the general public who have contributed to Ottawa’s urban design landscape.
Application submissions close Friday September 1.
The Ottawa Urban Design Awards program takes place every two years. In this 10th instalment of the program, the awards will honour exceptional projects completed between Wednesday, September 1, 2021 and Thursday August 31, 2023.
A guest jury of three independent design experts will assess this year’s candidates.
Projects can be nominated in the following categories.
- Urban Infill. For both categories, Low-rise (1-4 storey) and Mid-rise (5+ storey): for buildings that introduce quality-built spaces into established neighbourhoods in ways that respect the community
- Public Places and Civic Spaces: for spaces that enhance, extend and embellish the public realm
- Urban Elements: for design elements that contribute to the unique character of the neighbourhood at a human scale
- Student Projects: for theoretical or studio projects submitted by students
- Vision and Master Plans: for an unbuilt vision of the city, studies and master plans that are inspiring, trend setting and significant for the future development of the city
Projects will also be eligible for a Special Jury Award of Merit and an Award of Excellence. Projects that receive an Award of Excellence are eligible to represent Ottawa in competition for the 2024 Royal Architectural Institute of Canada’s Urban Design Awards Competition.
For more information on City programs and services, visit ottawa.ca, call 3-1-1 (TTY: 613-580-2401) or 613-580-2400 to contact the City using Canada Video Relay Service. You can also connect with us through Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.