In June 2016 Council approved an update to the Riverside South Community Design Plan (CDP). The CDP guides the future location and form of land use in the community including types of residential, shopping areas, schools, parks, roads and pathways.
Two transportation components of the CDP Land Use Plan – the location of the future Leitrim Road by-pass and the location of the future Rapid Transit Corridor – are changing because of separate study processes that are currently underway. These changes primarily affect the undeveloped parts of the Riverside South community located east of Limebank Road. As a result, the CDP needs to be updated starting in 2018 to reflect and accommodate the following changes:
- The location of the future Leitrim Road by-pass is changing to accommodate a planned westerly extension to a future runway for the Macdonald Cartier airport.
- The location of the Rapid Transit Corridor is moving from its current planned location through the north-easterly part of the community and connecting to the future Core Area (town centre), to a new location south of Earl Armstrong Road between Bowesville Road and the future Core Area. More information about the study related to this change can be viewed here.
The existing CDP Land Use Plan showing the general locations for the new future Leitrim Road by-pass and Rapid Transit Corridor [ PDF 646 KB ].
The scope of the CDP update includes:
- Planning new locations for land use (residential, schools, parks, commercial, etc.) streets, walking and cycling routes adjacent to the new rapid transit corridor alignment south of Earl Armstrong Road and the future Leitrim Road by-pass east of Limebank Road.
- Determining appropriate development densities in proximity to the future rapid transit stations
- Evaluating “complete street” design options for the future Earl Armstrong Road east of Limebank Road to better integrate the transportation corridor with adjacent land use
- Determining required updates to supporting and master servicing studies
- Bringing forward any Zoning By-law and Official Plan amendments for approval with the updated CDP, if required
Draft Land Use Plans for the areas around the new Light Rail Transit Line have been developed. We require your feedback to let us know what you think of the preliminary land use locations around the transit corridor.
Please review Concept A [ 3,197 KB ] PDF and Concept B [ 1,202 KB ] PDF of the proposed Land Use Bubble maps.
Please send comments to the file lead contact listed below.
Study Target Dates
- Jan. – Mar. 2018: Project launch and issue community questionnaire
- Apr. – Jun. 2018: Develop preliminary ideas for updates to the CDP and hold an information session to obtain feedback from the community
- Jul. 2018 – Jan. 2019: Internal stakeholder meetings and research. Hold an information session to obtain feedback from the community
- Spring 2019: Finalise the policy update and present it to Planning Committee for consideration / recommendation for approval.
Stay in touch
Thank you for your valued participation in the project. Please check this project webpage for updates and public meeting dates and locations.
Sign up to receive emails providing study updates by contacting:
Emily Davies, Planner
Planning, Infrastructure and Economic Development Department
City of Ottawa110 Laurier Avenue West, 4th Floor
Ottawa, ON K1P1J1
613-580-2424 ext. 23463