Driveways and laneways

If you plan to create, widen or close your driveway, residents need to apply for a Private Approach Permit. For additional information, please review Driveways Homeowner information.

Private Approach Permit applications are available at Client Service Centres and online.

Before you begin

You do not require a building permit to establish a new driveway or widen your driveway; however, zoning regulations and/or site plan control may impose restrictions on the width and location of your driveway. You can obtain this information from a Development Information Officer for your area. You may also wish to review the deed of transfer of your property (title documents provided by your solicitor following the purchase of your home) as the deed may include restrictions that will also apply, particularly if your home is part of a cooperative development, a condominium development or a multi-residential project.

Development Information Officers

In order to provide effective service to clients, the Development Information service is changing, as of August 1, 2023, in-person service will be available by appointment only.  If you require the services of a Development Information Officer, please call 613-580-2424 ext.23434 or email, include the subject address, proposed use, and other pertinent information relevant to the inquiry.  Upon receipt of the inquiry, a phone call or an email response will be provided within 2 to 3 business days, in the event more information is required there will be options to allow for further discussion.


Approximate Cost

Refer to Private Approach Application form for applicable fees


Who to contactClient Service Centre or 3-1-1
Where to applyClient Service Centre
Application FormsPrivate Approach Permit Application