Plant a tree by your home
The City’s Trees in Trust program needs your help to find suitable locations for street trees. Street trees are available by request on a first come, first served basis. If your City-owned street frontage lacks a tree and you have the time and commitment to help care for one, please contact us.
Note: The 2023 Trees in Trust Program is now full. The City is now accepting new requests for our 2024 planting season.
Before you begin
Things to consider:
- The program applies only to homes with street frontage (the space between your property line and the roadway).
- The property owner must pledge to assist with the proper tree care (watering) for the first three years of the tree's life. Instructions will be provided.
- Trees will be a minimum size of 50 mm diameter, or 2 to 3 meters in height.
- There is a limit of one tree per single fronting household or two trees per corner lot.
The following criteria will be used to assess potential planting sites:
- Is there enough space? (other trees or obstacles must be a minimum of 7m away)
- Are there overhead or underground utilities?
- Does the soil quality appear to be acceptable for tree growth?
- Are there any conflicting uses on the planting site?
- Has the request been made by the homeowner? (i.e. the person who pays taxes on the property)
- Is there an obvious conflict with traffic safety requirements or City maintenance (i.e. sightlines or snow removal operations)
There will be no charge to the homeowner (supply and planting will be provided by the City).