Adopt-a-Park and Adopt-a-Road is a city-wide program that encourages individuals, families, neighbours, community groups, and businesses to take an active role in helping maintain a beautiful city.
Volunteers take on park or roadway cleanup projects to improve safety and promote a healthy natural environment by keeping the City clean, green, and free of litter.
Adopt volunteers make a commitment to cleaning up a park or roadway:
- A minimum of twice a year - once in the spring and once in the fall.
- For a period of two or five years to provide continuity.
Adopt participants are encouraged to perform the following activities:
- Pick up litter/debris
- Sweep sidewalks and pathways
- Pull minor weeds
- Report vandalism on public or private property
To acknowledge these important efforts, a sign presenting the name of the adopting individual or group is displayed on the park or roadway throughout the adoption period. Please note: Adopt-a-Park/Adopt-a-Road signs are installed during the spring and summer season.
Paint It Up! is a youth engagement program funded by Public Works and administered by Community and Social Services (CSS). It promotes the use of outdoor murals to:
- support local arts and culture;
- enhance the city’s beauty for residents and visitors; and
- engage youth in positive skill-building experiences.
Annual funding is available through Community Safety and Well-Being, Policy, and Analytics within CSS for local organizations wanting to hire youth to create murals in neighbourhoods experiencing a high rate of tagging and vandalism.