Pre-authorized debits (PADs) are a convenient way to pay your property tax by setting up automatic monthly payments or scheduled payments twice a year.
Before you begin
Before you begin
Your current bill must be paid in full before you can enroll in the plan.
Authorization is not required each year. Every year you will receive a statement notifying you of your new payment amounts for the following taxation year. Customers on the PAD Plan with more than three dishonoured payments in a 12-month period will be removed from the plan.
If you wish to have deductions withdrawn from an account that does not belong to one of the registered owners of the property, please submit a letter of undertaking from the financial institution.
Supplementary tax bills are not included: If you are enrolled in this plan and receive a supplementary bill for improvements to your property, the terms and conditions of the plan require you to pay these tax charges separately by the due date stated on the bill.
What you need
What you need
- 19-digit tax roll number as shown on your tax bill
- Amount owing
- Payment method
Option 1: Monthly Payments
Select the day of the month for the withdrawal of your payments (the 1st, 8th, 15th, or 22nd). If no box is selected payments will be withdrawn on the 1st. If more than one box is selected, payments will be withdrawn on the first option checked.
Registration must be by November 30: Withdrawals from January to October equivalent to 1/10th of the previous year's taxes from January to June and the balance of the current year's taxes (excluding supplementary billings) equally from July to October.
Registration must be by January 10: Withdrawals from February to October equivalent to 1/9th of the previous year's taxes from January to June and the balance of the current year's taxes (excluding supplementary billings) equally from July to October.
Registration must be by April 15: Withdrawals from May to October equivalent to 1/6th of the previous year's taxes in May and June and the balance of the current year's taxes (excluding supplementary billings) equally from July to October.
Option 2: Amount due withdrawn on "Tax Due Date"
Registration must be by November 30: The City of Ottawa will process a debit equivalent to the taxes as billed (excluding supplementary billings) on the due dates approved by Council.
Registration must be by April 15: The City of Ottawa will process a debit equivalent to the taxes as billed (excluding supplementary billings) on the due dates approved by Council
- Log into My ServiceOttawa and navigate to your registered property tax account. If you do not already have a My ServiceOttawa account, you may register for one.
- Select “Pre-authorized debit” and follow the on-screen prompts.
Email, fax or mail
Print and complete the Pre-Authorized Debit (PAD) Plan Form and attach a void cheque. Email, fax or mail using the information listed on the form.
If you require a hardcopy of this form, you may request one in writing to firstname.lastname@example.org or to:
City of Ottawa, Revenue Services
100 Constellation Drive, 4th Floor East
Ottawa ON K2G 6J8
Include your name and address.
Update or cancel Pre-Authorized Debit plan (PAD)
There are two ways to update or cancel your Pre-Authorized Debit Plan (PAD):
1) Login to My ServiceOttawa and navigate to your registered property tax account by selecting “View” next to the applicable property (if you have not yet registered your property tax account, follow these instructions) then select the blue menu option titled “Pre-authorized debit” and submit a request to “Update PAD plan” or “Cancel PAD plan” by selecting the appropriate green button. Revenue Services requires 9 days to process updates and cancellations through this method. If you have a withdrawal scheduled within the 9-day period the funds will be withdrawn from the original bank account as scheduled.
For more information, please refer to How to remove a PAD from a property tax account for cancellations or How do I change my PAD banking information or withdrawal date for updates.
2) Complete and return the Request for Change(s) - Pre-authorized Tax/Water and Sewers Accounts PDF opens in a new tab or window form. Revenue Services requires 30 days’ notice from the date of receipt to process requests received through this method.