This site uses JavaScript. Please enable JavaScript in your Browser and reload the page to view the full site.

Driveways and laneways

If you plan to establish a new driveway, widen or close your driveway, you need to apply for a Private Approach Permit. Private Approach Permit applications are available at Client Service Centres and online.

You do not require a building permit to establish a new driveway or widen your driveway; however, zoning regulations and/or site plan control may impose restrictions on the width and location of your driveway. You can obtain this information from a Development Information Officer for your area. You may also wish to review the deed of transfer of your property (title documents provided by your solicitor following the purchase of your home) as the deed may include restrictions that will also apply, particularly if your home is part of a cooperative development, a condominium development or a multi-residential project.

Development Information Officers

If you require the services of a Development Information Officer, please call 613-580-2424, ext. 23434 or

Approximate Cost

Refer to Private Approach Application form for applicable fees

Who to contactClient Service Centre or 3-1-1
Where to applyClient Service Centre
Application FormsPrivate Approach Permit Application