Sparks Street is of significant interest to many organizations. It is owned by the City, managed by the Sparks Street Mall Authority (SSMA), programmed in part by the Sparks Street BIA and surrounded by properties owned or leased by Public Services and Procurement Canada (PSPC), the National Capital Commission (NCC) and 9 other property owners. This plan is meant to serve as a tool for each of these major stakeholders in the following ways:
- Provide a strong, renewed and common vision for the future design, management and programming of the Sparks Street Pedestrian Mall
- Become a reference tool for the National Capital Commission in its review of proposals requiring federal approval under the National Capital Act.
- Integrate several related policies, bylaws, studies and agreements that have been developed and approved since the street’s last major renewal in 1989.
- Provide recommendations relating to how adjacent businesses and property owners could align to support the vision for Sparks Street.
- Inform the forthcoming update to the Long-term Vision Plan for the Parliamentary Precinct