This site uses JavaScript. Please enable JavaScript in your Browser and reload the page to view the full site.

Getting a marriage licence

A marriage licence is required to get married in Ontario.

  • The licence is valid for 90 days from the issued date.
  • The licence is valid for use in anywhere in the province of Ontario.

  • There are no gender, residency, citizenship or medical requirements when applying for a marriage licence.
  • Anyone over the age of 16 years old can get married in Ontario.


Two (2) pieces of acceptable government issued identification (ID) are required for both parties. Copies will not be accepted. If any of your identification is in a language other than English or French, you must present it with an official translation of the document. The first piece of identification must be any of the following:

  • a government-issued birth certificate, including any change of name certificates
  • a valid passport*;
  • a record of immigrant landing;
  • a Canadian citizenship card.

The second piece of identification must be in the form of government-issued photo identification, including:

  • a valid driver's licence;
  • a valid passport*;
  • a valid Ontario Photo Card (Ontario Health Cards are NOT accepted)
  • a BYID age-of-majority-card.
  • marijuana medical access regulation Card
  • statutory declaration confirming identity
    • The declaration should contain the applicant's:
      • name
      • date of birth
      • location of birth
      • photo (signed and dated by a notary public/lawyer)

* If a valid passport is used as the first piece of identification, the second piece of identification must be a valid driver’s licence, a valid Ontario Photo Card or a BYID age-of-majority-card.

The City of Ottawa does not accept health or national identity cards as a form of photo identification.


If you have been divorced

If you have been divorced in Canada

You must submit official proof of the divorce when you apply for a marriage licence. This can be the original or a court-certified copy of a:

  • Final decree
  • Certificate of divorce

A certified copy of either of the above divorce documents may be obtained from the court office that granted the divorce. A Decree Nisi, Divorce Order or Judgement is not acceptable. All documents will be returned.

If you do not know where your divorce was granted you can contact:

Central Registry of Divorce Proceedings 


If you have been divorced outside of Canada (Foreign Divorce)

If you were divorced outside of Canada, you will need to provide certain documents to prove that you are no longer married. The Office of the Registrar General for the province of Ontario needs to validate these documents and provide authorization in order for you to get a marriage licence.

For more information, contact the Marriage Office at 1-800-461-2156 (toll-free) or visit Service Ontario.

Foreign divorce packages can also be picked up at any of our offices.

If you are under 18 years of age:

  • Your parents or legal guardians must be present at the time you submit your marriage licence application.

The City of Ottawa charges a $168.10 service fee for a marriage licence, which you can pay for by cash, cheque, Interac or credit card. Marriage licence fees are non-refundable.

Marriage Licences are available by appointment only.

To get a marriage licence appointment:

Effective July 15, 2020, masks are required to be worn in enclosed public spaces at City of Ottawa facilities as per the Temporary Mandatory Mask By-law.