The City of Ottawa invests in local culture through its Cultural Funding and Awards Programs. These programs provide support to local not-for-profit cultural organizations, professional artists and heritage workers.
Cultural Funding Programs aim to support arts and heritage activities that reflect the city's many local communities including the Anishinabe Algonquin Nation, other First Nations, Inuit and Métis peoples, and all people from a diversity of ancestries, abilities, ages, cultures, genders, sexuality and countries of origin.
All programs are application-based and use a peer assessment model in the evaluation process.
The Cultural Funding Support Unit (CFSU) assists independent, local, not-for-profit organizations, as well as professional artists and heritage professionals in the presentation of arts and heritage events and activities that reflect a broad representation of communities within Ottawa.
The City of Ottawa supports cultural activity that is inclusive of Ottawa’s diverse community, including people from a diversity of ancestries, abilities, ages, countries of origin, cultures, genders, incomes, languages, races and sexual orientations.
The City of Ottawa encourages submissions from First Nations, Inuit and Métis people, IBPOC (Indigenous, black, people of colour), persons with disabilities and members of the 2SLGBTQIA communities.
The City of Ottawa is built on unceded Anishinabe Algonquin territory. The CFSU honours the Anishinabe Algonquin Nation as host nation.
The CFSU is committed to supporting cultural activities that respond to the Calls to Action of the Truth and Reconciliation Commission.
The City of Ottawa recognizes both official languages as having the same rights, status and privileges, and therefore accepts applications in both English and French.
Video presentation: Our programs, services, and processes.
Cultural funding during COVID-19
The City of Ottawa understands that the current situation with Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) presents extraordinary challenges for Ottawa's cultural community.
The safety and well-being of everyone is paramount. We recommend staying informed by visiting the Ottawa Public Health website for the latest information including self-isolation and preventing the spread. We also encourage you to visit ottawa.ca for the latest City news regarding COVID-19, including impacted City facilities and services.
We want to reassure you that we are working to expedite funding when possible. We will share more details on the measures we are taking to make this happen as we adjust our processes to a virtual work environment. In the meantime, please see below for some key information.
Operating funding recipients
Our priority is to provide stable operating funding without delays. You will not be expected to have replacement programming for events that are postponed or cancelled due to COVID-19.
Project funding applicants
Projects affected by COVID-19 may be adjusted or delayed without penalty. Please contact your Cultural Funding Officer for details.
We encourage you to reach out to us at email@example.com with any further questions.
Contact us - Cultural funding team
For general information, technical issues, or to request a report form, contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
For specific information on your application, or to discuss eligibility, contact:
- Arts Funding Program (Arts services and arts venues, French literary arts, French theatre)
- Creation and Production Fund (French literary arts, French theatre)
- Heritage Funding Program
- Prix du livre d'Ottawa
- Arts Funding Program (Dance, Independent film and video, Arts training and arts education (Multidisciplinary organizations), Visual arts
- Creation and Production Fund (Dance, Independent film and video, Visual arts)
- Equity and Inclusion in the Arts Fund (Grow Grant, Annual Operating Funding)
- Karsh Award
- Arts Funding Program (Music, Arts training and arts education (Music organizations), Amateur arts (Music and Multidisciplinary)
- Creation and Production Fund (Music)
- Major Arts and Cultural Festivals Program
- Capacity Building Program
- Arts Funding Program (Arts events and arts festivals, English literary arts, English theatre)
- Creation and Production Fund (English literary arts, English theatre)
- Major Agricultural Fairs Program
- Equity and Inclusion in the Arts Fund (Seed Award)
- Ottawa Book Awards