Community Economic Development
The Community Economic Development (CED) Funding Program is an annual program that provides financial support to projects that advance: job creation, economic diversity, entrepreneurship and small business development, skills development, innovation, and tourism while also demonstrating environmental, social, and/or cultural benefits. Projects are expected to generate outcomes such as:
Economic: These outcomes support the community’s economic prospects with a focus on job creation and supporting growth of the local economy. Examples include, but not limited to:
- Increased economic diversity
- Support for entrepreneurship and small business development
- Business training and skill development opportunities
- Attracting visitors to the region (ex. tourism marketing or major event attraction potential)
Environmental: These are the environmental benefits that a project brings to improving the community’s sustainability and liveability. Examples include, but not limited to:
- Greening of the environment (ex. use of green energy)
- Repurposing, reuse, and recycling of materials
- Promotion of eco-friendly products
Social: These are the social benefits that a project brings to the community’s residents and visitors. Examples include, but not limited to:
- Increased accessibility to services
- Promoting inclusivity
- Greater equity for a disadvantaged group
- Improved health and well-being for the community
Cultural: These are the cultural benefits that a project brings to the community’s population. Examples include, but not limited to:
- Conservation of heritage
- Identifying special and unique needs of a community
- Promoting cultural identity
- Celebrating diversity.
For further information, please visit Funding
Business Improvement Area (BIA) Grant Programs
Mural and Architectural Design Feature Grant Program
This program challenges BIAs, in collaboration with local artists, to develop “wow” moments that will enhance the public realm, create a more vibrant streetscape and enrich the customer experience.
Research Grant Program
This program provides funding contributions to BIAs to assist with research projects that are designed to enhance the economic viability and competitiveness of the BIA.
Anti-Graffiti Grant Program
The BIA Anti-Graffiti Program Funding contribution is available to all eligible BIAs as an annual renewable contribution. The purpose of the fund is to support BIAs and member businesses in adhering to the Graffiti Management By-law 2008-1 requiring the expedient removal of graffiti from all property within the City of Ottawa.
Formation/Expansion Grant Program
The BIA Formation/Expansion Grant Program provides funding grants of up to $5,000 to business groups that have expressed formal interest to create a Business Improvement Area for their commercial district, or to existing BIAs wishing to expand their boundaries.
Prospective applicants should discuss their interest with Economic Development Services staff prior to submitting their application to ensure the project fits within the scope of this funding program.
To request further details on these programs or to obtain an application form, please contact:
Economic Development Officer
613-580-2424, ext. 22441
- 2021 100% Municipally funded grants and contributions financial report
- 2020 100% Municipally funded grants and contributions
- 2019 City of Ottawa100% Municipally funded grants and contributions financial information
- 2018 100% Municipally funded grants and contributions financial information and notice