City Strategic Plan
The 2015–2018 City Strategic Plan is the key corporate planning document defining what Council plans to accomplish over its four-year term. It contains the Term of Council Priorities (approved by Council in July 8, 2015) and the City Balanced Scorecard, which outlines how performance will be measured through specific objectives, initiatives and performance measures related to the priorities. Specifically, this City Strategic Plan:
- Forms the foundation of the City's work efforts to deliver quality and relevant services to residents.
- Provides strategic guidance to all departmental plans, policies and programs.
- Provides the Corporation with a means of tracking performance through regular reporting process so that we can consistently make sound, informed decisions.
- Includes enhanced oversight and direction for effectively implementing Council's priorities.
The City Strategic Plan does not provide a complete list of all the services and programs the City provides; it does, however, capture the significant initiatives that address the priorities for the 2015–2018 Term of Council.
2015–2018 City Strategic Plan [ PDF - 4 MB ]
City Strategy Map
Council articulates its priorities for a Term of Council by using a strategy map. With this tool, Council is able to link strategic plans with performance measurement goals by converting strategic objectives into measures and targets, which are then captured in the City Balanced Scorecard.
The City Strategy Map includes the following key elements, which are part of the 2015–2018 City Strategic Plan:
- Term of Council Vision: Identifies the outcomes the City will use to define success for the 2015–2018 term
- Constituents: Key stakeholders who will measure the success of the vision
- Strategic Priorities: Areas of focus for the City's Term of Council that are linked to long-term goals and defined in sufficient detail to offer clear goals for the Mayor, Council, staff and residents
- Strategic Objectives: Grouped by strategic priority and outline the outcomes that are expected to be achieved for each priority
- Strategic Initiatives: Programs or projects that support the achievement of objectives, are linked to the budget process, and are measured using targets and metrics contained in the City's balanced scorecard
City Balanced Scorecard
The City Balanced Scorecard is a tool used by the City to improve focus on Council's strategic priorities. The City Balanced Scorecard supplements the City Strategy Map with performance measures and targets. Performance measures provide precision in indicating the progress that will be made toward achieving the strategy. Targets convey the expected level of performance to move the strategy forward.
The City Balanced Scorecard forms the basis of the performance management system and it contains both financial and non-financial measures. Senior management will use this tool to assess the progress of the City's strategy and make strategic decisions. Progress toward strategic objectives and initiatives will be reported to Council twice over the Term through the City Balanced Scorecard report, and through reports related to strategic initiatives provided by staff through the Legislative Agenda process throughout the term of Council.
- 2015-2018 City Balanced Scorecard [ PDF - 242 KB ]