Stay informed on the City’s tornado response

Archived content

This page has been archived and will not be updated. It can be used for reference purposes but it is possible some links no longer work.
Published on
July 14, 2023
Health, public safety and emergencies

Yesterday we saw yet another storm pass through the city, this time accompanied by a tornado which caused damage to many homes in the Barrhaven area. As residents work to get a scope of the full extent of the damage and what debris needs to be cleared, here are some steps you can take to make sure your home is safe.

First steps

First things first, check your home for any debris that could be leaning near or around powerlines, or otherwise pose a threat to you or others in your community. If you do see any debris on power lines, please report them to Hydro Ottawa, the Electricity Safety Authority, or get a certified electrician for inspection and removal. If there has been damage to your home or property, contact your insurance provider right away. They will be able to help you get started on the next steps to repairing your home. 

Get informed

The City acted quickly yesterday to set up a community support centre at the Minto Recreation Complex on 3500 Cambrian Road, which will remain mobilized until 7pm this evening. There, residents can talk with City staff such as Building Code Services, who can provide information on assessing damages, starting the insurance process and general safety questions related to homes impacted by the tornado. Social Services will also have resources available to those effected or displaced due to damage to their homes.

The Canadian Red Cross is also at the community support centre today to assist residents, and the Salvation Army has provided snacks and refreshments for impacted residents.

Not able to make it out to the Minto Recreation Complex? You can also visit the Extreme Weather response page on, or call 3-1-1, for information on building permits, what to do about property damage, and how to temporarily fence off hazardous debris.

If your gas was shut off

If Enbridge has shut off gas due to the tornado and you want it turned on again:

  • Contact Enbridge at 1-877-362-7434
  • Enbridge will come and do a property assessment to determine if it is safe to reconnect the gas supply
  • Once inspection has passed, the homeowner must contact an approved HVAC contractor
  • The HVAC contractor will connect all gas-fueled appliances (furnace, hot water tank, dryer, stove, etc)

 Visit for more flooding safety information.

Debris clean up

The City’s Public Works staff have been working to make roads, parks and right of ways safe again. All known hazards have already been addressed, however the City asks that residents report any tree, road or parks related hazards to 3-1-1 for follow-up.

City response teams will be available throughout the weekend and will begin curbside removal of tree and yard debris next week. Please ensure that any storm-related waste is kept separate when placing tree and yard debris at the curb for pickup.

You can find more information on debris management on, with more updates to come next week.