Committees for the 2022-2026 Term of Council
With the beginning of the new 2022-2026 Term of Council on November 15, 2022, City Council will consider the 2022-2026 Council Governance Review report at an upcoming meeting. As part of the report, Council is expected to approve many governance-related matters, including its committee structure, the process to establish membership, meeting schedules, among other business.
Please note that once the committee structure and related matters are approved by City Council, the various Committee pages on ottawa.ca will be updated accordingly.
City Council meetings for the November and December 2022 timeframe will be published to the City’s agendas and minutes web portal when the dates are confirmed. Committee meetings will be added to the web portal once they are scheduled.
Terms of Reference
The mandate of the Built Heritage Sub-Committee is to advise and assist Council on matters relating to Parts IV and V of the Ontario Heritage Act, and such other heritage matters as Council may specify by by-law or as specified in the City’s Official Plan.
The Committee shall meet monthly to review applications under the Ontario Heritage Act. The Committee shall also have:
- The authority to recommend to Council, through the appropriate Standing Committee, opportunities to issue notice of intent to designate heritage properties; and
- The ability to be consulted by staff and/or have matters referred to it by other Standing Committees relative to the built heritage portfolio; and,
- The ability to comment on Zoning By-law amendments and Official Plan amendments that involve designated heritage buildings.
The Built Heritage Sub-Committee shall be organized as follows:
- Five (5) Members of Council including at least:
- One (1) member of the Planning Committee
- One (1) member of the Agriculture and Rural Affairs Committee; and,
- One (1) member of Council whose ward encompasses a Heritage Conservation District; and,
- Four (4) citizen members, with appropriate experience, appointed by Council with at least one of the citizen members that resides within a Heritage Conservation District.
The Mayor is an ex-officio member of the Sub-Committee.
The Built Heritage Sub-Committee has the authority to recommend the following matters directly to Council, without consideration by the Planning Committee or Agriculture and Rural Affairs Committee (ARAC):
- Approval of additions to the Heritage Register;
- Approval of annual staff reports regarding removal of properties from the Heritage Register, as required under Section 4.1 of the Heritage Register Procedures;
- Approval for alteration, demolition, or new construction for buildings designated under Part IV or V of the Ontario Heritage Act where there are no associated Zoning By-law or Official Plan amendments;
- Approval of a staff recommendation for Part IV designations where there are no associated Planning Act applications; and
- Approval of a staff recommendation for the creation of new Heritage Conservation Districts.
For all other matters, the Built Heritage Sub-Committee shall report through the Planning Committee or ARAC to City Council; however, it may also report to another Standing Committee where appropriate, depending on the issue.
Meetings, agendas and minutes
Meeting agendas, minutes and videos for City Council, its committees and select local boards can be accessed through the City’s agendas and minutes web portal.
See using the City’s Agendas and minutes web portal for more information.
The following is available through the portal:
- Meeting schedules
- Meeting documentation
- Live streams
- Meeting recordings for meetings held on or after June 27, 2022
Live meeting streams and archived meeting videos continue to be available on the Ottawa City Council YouTube Channel. More information is available in the Watch or listen to Council and committee meetings article.
Meeting documentation from January 2001 to June 2012 can be accessed through the legacy agendas and minutes application.
If at any time you are unable to find a document or access the links above, please send an email to Committees@ottawa.ca.