The City of Ottawa recognizes outstanding achievements in heritage conservation with the Ottawa Heritage Awards, formerly known as the Ottawa Architectural Conservation Awards. The application period for the 2016-2018 awards is now open. The deadline for applications is Friday, November 2, 2018.
There are two types of awards, those that are project-based and one that is for a community member/group.
Project awards may be presented in six categories:
- Restoration: returning a heritage resource to its original form, material and integrity.
- Adaptive Reuse: adapting an old building for a new purpose while retaining its heritage character.
- Infill: new construction in a historic context.
- Addition: new additions to historic buildings.
- Government: awarded to a restoration project at a public sector property.
- Other: This category will change depending on the projects submitted in a given year. Projects could include engineering projects (i.e. bridge restoration) or landscaping projects (i.e. restoration of historic gardens or parks).
Some projects may qualify in more than one category. Please note that projects related to properties owned by the federal government will only qualify for the Government category.
Community Heritage: awarded to an individual or group, who has had a positive impact on heritage conservation in Ottawa
Projects completed between September 2016 and December 2018 are eligible. Projects must be substantially complete by the submission deadline. Final elements such as landscaping (where it is not integral to the project) may be completed after the deadline. Heritage staff will have the discretion to determine whether a project is substantially complete. If you have any questions regarding the completeness of a project, please contact the Heritage Section prior to submission.
Awards will be presented on February 19, 2019.
For further details, please contact:
Ashley Kotarba, Heritage Planner
Planning, Infrastructure and Economic Development Department
City of Ottawa
110 Laurier Avenue West, 4th floor
Ottawa, Ontario K1P 1J1
613-580-2424 ext. 23582