The Ontario Renovates program administered by the City’s Housing Services ("Housing Services"), provides limited funding to low income seniors and to persons with disabilities who own their home for essential repairs and accessibility modifications to support independent living.
Eligibility of applicants
- Homeowners who are 65 years of age or older
- People with disabilities
- Families with a household member(s) who is a senior or person with a disability may be eligible if property value and income criteria are also met (criteria listed below)
The income requirements are based on household size and are described in the table below:
|Household Size||Maximum Gross Annual Income|
|Seven or more person||$88,900.00|
Eligibility of property
Your property may be eligible for the program if it is:
- Located in the City of Ottawa;
- Valued at or under $476,197 as determined by the province and verified by the owners most recent property tax or MPAC assessment; and
- Your sole and primary residence.
Eligibility of repairs and accessibility modifications
Your home may be eligible for the program if it requires repairs and/or modifications to make it safer, more accessible and more energy efficient. Examples of acceptable repairs and modifications include, but are not limited to:
- electrical and heating systems including chimneys
- doors and windows
- foundations, roofs, walls, floors and ceilings
- septic systems, well water, and well drilling
- fire safety
- cues for doorbells or fire alarms
- ramps, handrails, chair and bath lifts, height-adjusted countertops
Please note that any repairs or modifications carried out before the loan or grant is approved in writing and a funding agreement is signed are not eligible and will not be reimbursed.
Scope of funding
The program provides funding in the form of a forgivable loan and/or grant for eligible applicants or participants up to a maximum amount of $20,000:
- Grants up to five thousand dollars ($5,000) can only be used for accessibility modifications to the home.
- Forgivable loans up to fifteen thousand dollars ($15,000) can be used for both accessibility modifications and essential repairs and must be approved by the program administration.
- The loan will be forgiven if you continue to own and live in the house for ten (10) years after the repairs or modifications have been completed.
- The amount of the loan is contingent on the total grant amount taken to equal a maximum of $20,000 in total funding received by the applicant.
- Eligible households can only receive the loan/grant amount that is verified by quotes for projects.
Duration of program
Housing Services is accepting applications and will continue to do so until all funds are spent or until March 31st, 2023, whichever comes first.
Once the Housing Services has received the application, the applicant will be contacted by letter declaring eligibility or non-eligibility. Applicants will also be notified if documents are missing.
Use of funds
Funds awarded can only be used for the purposes outlined in the Funding Agreement with Housing Services. If the cost of the necessary repairs or modifications is more than the maximum amount of the grant and/or loan provided, you, as the property owner, may have to cover the additional cost.
Reporting and follow-up
Housing Services may follow up with you annually to determine if you are the title owner of the property. If you sell or move within 10 years of receiving a forgivable loan, you will be required to pay all or a portion of the loan back to the City.
How to apply for funding
- Print and complete this application form [PDF - 162KB] and provide all necessary documents
- Contact the program at the phone number or email address below to request an application package be mailed to you
All applications with necessary documents must be mailed or delivered to:City of Ottawa
Ontario Renovates program
100 Constellation Drive, 2nd Floor East
Ottawa, ON, K2G 6J8
For more information about the Ontario Renovates program, please call our information line at 613-580-2424 ext. 12300 or email Ontariorenovates@ottawa.ca.