Cat and dog registration
The City of Ottawa requires that cat and dog owners register their pets. This ensures the City has the necessary information to help reunite you with your pet if it becomes lost. Pet registrations must be renewed on an annual basis. Note: Fees in arrear are now added to each pet file if applicable and will show on pet registration renewal notices and online on MyServiceOttawa.
As of June 20, 2011, all pet registration fees are non-refundable.
You will receive a numbered metal tag which must be worn on your pet’s collar/harness, particularly when outside of your home. By-law & Regulatory Services will no longer be mailing renewal stickers to affix to your pet’s tag. By-law Officers are equipped with computers in the field, replacing the need to verify registration by way of a sticker on the registration tag
You can register your pet or renew your existing registration:
You can now manage your pet registrations and access expanded service options online through My ServiceOttawa, including:
- Create new pet registrations
- Renew existing pet registrations
- Update and change information to existing pet registrations (e.g., new mailing address, phone number, etc.)
- Request replacement identification tags
- Pay fees directly through ottawa.ca (MasterCard, VISA, American Express, Interac Online and Visa Debit.)
The following service will be provided in person. We strongly recommend you schedule an appointment with us, but walk-ins will be accepted.
Please select a location to book an appointment time:
The following locations are open from Monday to Friday, 8:30 am to 4:30 pm
- Laurier Client Service Centre, 110 Laurier Avenue West
- Nepean Client Service Centre, 101 Centrepointe Drive
- Kanata Client Service Centre, 580 Terry Fox Drive
- Orleans Client Service Centre, 255 Centrum Boulevard
The following rural locations are open one day a week, from 8:30 am to 4 pm.
- Metcalfe Client Service Centre, 8243 Victoria Street (open Tuesday)
- West Carleton Client Service Centre, 5670 Carp Road (open Wednesday)
- North Gower Client Service Centre, 2155 Roger Stevens Drive (open Thursday)
Service animal registration
You may know that the City of Ottawa requires that cat and dog owners register their pets, but did you also know that service animals are required to be registered as well? Registration ensures the City has the necessary information to help reunite you with your pet if it becomes lost.
Registrations can be done online at My ServiceOttawa, or in person at one of the City’s four Client Service Centres. Fees vary for different pets, but service animal registration is provided free of charge.
|for each cat/dog under 6 months of age, which is unsterilized
|for each cat/dog 6 months of age or older, which is sterilized
|for each cat/dog 6 months of age or older, which is unsterilized
|for each dog whose owner has been convicted of permitting the dog to bite or attack, without provocation, a person or domestic animal:
|for each service animal
|replacement of first lost identification tag
|for each additional replacement identification tag
Additional registration information
Replace a lost dog or cat tag
If the metal tag becomes lost, damaged or worn out, it can be replaced online at MyServiceOttawa. Tags can also be replaced by calling 3-1-1 or by email. Please include your name, address and tag number. The first replacement tag is free of charge and subsequent replacement tags are $10 each.
Vaccinate against rabies
Pursuant to the Health Protection and Promotion Act, all cats and dogs must be vaccinated against rabies. For more information, contact the Public Health Branch via 3-1-1 or visit How I can prevent rabies.