Commissioner of Oaths’ services are offered in person at our Client Service Centres inside City Hall and Ben Franklin Place.
What can and cannot be signed
City of Ottawa Commissioners have some limitations with the delivery of this service. The following CANNOT be commissioned with the City of Ottawa.
- Documents that need to be certified or if true copies need to be authored;
- Forms which call upon a Commissioner of Oath, yet also request certified true copies of other documents as attachments. Because the Commissioner cannot certify true copies of attachments, they cannot sign the affixed application (the only exception is that of a federal government permanent residency application);
- Affidavits of true affidavits required for an applicant of a marriage license (statutory declaration of identity). These must be forged by a notary public as it is a conflict of interest since we issue Marriage Licences.
- Bio-Metric Passport applications
Examples of documents we CAN commission:
- Wide variety of affidavits, applications, statutory declarations and travel letters requiring a Commissioner of Oath
- Court related documents, banking documents, delayed/amendments to birth registrations
- Federal government documentation such as: Pension purpose-attestations, Passport Applications and Permanent Residency Cards (Statutory Declarations In Lieu of a Guarantor)
- We must also sign the accompanying pictures and exhibits if applicable.
For more information on types of documents that are eligible to be signed by our commissioners, you may call 3-1-1 and select option 6 to speak with a City of Ottawa agent.
- The request for the Commissioner of Oaths service must be made by the same individual taking the oath and signing the document. You must present 1 (one) original piece of photo identification in the form of government-issued photo identification (i.e. a valid driver's licence, a valid passport, new health card or a BYID age-of-majority card). If your identification is in a language other than English or French, an official translation of the document may be required.
Bring your completed document, pictures (if applicable) and any accompanying exhibits or appendixes (if refrenced in the document to be commissioned)
Do not sign the affidavit section of the document until instructed to by our commissioners.
- $15.10 per document to be sworn
Methods of payment
- Credit card
Due to the provincial stay-at-home orders, in-person counter services are temporarily suspended effective end of the business day on Friday January 15th, 2021 until further notice. Accordingly, commissioner of oath services will not be available during this time.
For more information, you may call 3-1-1 and select option 6 to speak with a City of Ottawa agent.