TravelWise is a City of Ottawa program for workplaces that want to improve their employee commuting. TravelWise provides workplaces with policies and programs that make it easier and more inviting for their employees to take transit, bike, walk and carpool to work.
Why Commuting Matters
Improving commuting at your workplace benefits your workplace, your employees and your community:
Manage Parking Demand
Increase the number of commuter trips made by transit, cycling, walking, and carpooling to reduce the number of cars parking at your workplace. This frees up valuable parking spaces for clients and visitors.
Improve Employee Wellness and Increase Employee Retention
An enjoyable, comfortable, convenient commute leads to higher levels of employee retention. Walking and cycling to work improve health, increase energy levels and reduce stress.
Demonstrate your Environmental Leadership
Take measurable actions to reduce GHG emissions associated with commuting. Reduce congestion, decrease noise pollution and improve air quality in your community.
Choose a TravelWise Program
1. The Full TravelWise Program. For workplaces ready to commit to significant change. Through consistent support beginning with a 12-month onboarding period, your workplace will gain the knowledge and tools to implement long-term and lasting commuting solutions. You will receive:
- A site assessment to understand how existing infrastructure impacts commuting options;
- An employee commuter survey to assess current commuting patterns;
- A customized TravelWise Plan to improve sustainable commuting at your workplace;
- Ongoing program support (up to 4 hours per month) to help you implement your plan during the Program.
2. The TravelWise Menu. For workplaces ready for a quick win in one or more areas of sustainable commuting. Choose from a selection of tools and programs to increase trips by transit, cycling, walking or carpooling, including access to OttawaRideMatch carpool matching site, workshops, transportation booths, focus groups, and more.
Current TravelWise Workplaces include:
- Children’s Hospital of Eastern Ontario – Ottawa Children’s Treatment Centre
- IKEA Ottawa
- National Defence Headquarters (NDHQ)
For more information about TravelWise contact:
Transportation Demand Management Project Officer
613-580-2424 ext. 42014