The City of Ottawa Official Plan provides a vision for the future growth of the city and a policy framework to guide the city's physical development to the year 2031. It is a legal document that addresses matters of provincial interest defined by the Planning Act and the Provincial Policy Statement. It also serves as a basis for a wide range of municipal activities. These include the:
- Assessment of applications for new development or redevelopment of land.
- Planning for and approval of public works and infrastructure (such as roads, and parks)
- Guidance to Comprehensive Zoning By-law and changes to zoning
- Planning for new communities and existing areas undergoing change.
- Preservation of natural systems and the wise use of resources
- Consultation and soliciting opinions from the community
Consultation and soliciting opinions from the community The Official Plan of the City of Ottawa was adopted in 2003 and applies city wide. The Official Plan also includes Secondary Plans and Site Specific Policies to provide more detailed guidance in specific circumstances or locations. The Official Plan and Secondary Plans may be amended from time to time as part of a regular review or by application (Official Plan Amendments). As these changes are approved they are consolidated into the online documents. The consolidated Plan can be accessed below or from the navigation bar to the left.
New Official Plan
We have an opportunity to prepare for the future with a brand new Official Plan. The review of the Official Plan will be done as required by the Planning Act and Provincial Policy Statement, 2014, and will run in coordination with the reviews of the Infrastructure Master Plan, Transportation Master Plan and the Development Charges By-law. All aspects of the Official Plan will be reviewed and updated, including secondary plans for urban neighbourhoods and rural Villages.
The new Official Plan was submitted to the Province for approval in December 2021. The target date for Provincial approval was April 2022 but consistent with Bill 109, the Minister can now suspend its approval timeline for official plans (including the City of Ottawa’s). There is no timeline prescribed in Bill 109 for when the Minister must issue a decision or rescind the suspension. Bill 109 also would allow the Minister to refer an Official Plan approval, in whole in part, to the Ottawa Land Tribunal. Referral can be for a recommendation or for a decision by the OLT. The City has received a clear indication that there will be no decision on approval or referral until after the Provincial election.
The consolidations of the Official Plan, Secondary Plans and the amendments thereto, are prepared for reference purposes only. While the City makes every effort to ensure the accuracy of the information contained herein, the reader is advised that as these publications are office consolidations, in situations where legal accuracy is important, the Adopting By-law itself and any amending by-laws or OMB decisions must be consulted.
Official Plan Amendments
Official Plan Amendments adopted by the City are listed and accessible in Annex 13 of the Official Plan, with the accompanying Committee Report. For further information contact 3-1-1 and request to speak to the Development Information Officer (DIO) for the geographic area in question.
Current Major Updates
The two following major updates to the Official Plan were adopted as part of a comprehensive review of the City’s Official Plan completed in 2013 and 2016. These updates have not been included in the consolidated Official Plan.
Official Plan Review: Official Plan Amendment #150 Under Appeal
Official Plan Amendment #180 Awaiting Ministry Approval Approved by the Minister on August 8, 2017 and Partly Under Appeal
Copies of individual Official Plan amendments can be obtained at the following locations:
City Hall Client Service Center
1st Floor, 110 Laurier Avenue West
100 Tallwood Dr. (Corner of Woodroffe)
- PDF Files - Volume 2A
- Bank Street in the Glebe Secondary Plan
- Bank Street Secondary Plan
- Barrhaven Downtown Secondary Plan
- Bayview Station District Secondary Plan
- Blair Secondary Plan
- Corso Italia Station District Secondary Plan
- East Urban Community Phase 3 Secondary Plan
- Elmvale Acres Shopping Centre Secondary Plan
- Former Canadian Forces Base (CFB) Rockcliffe Secondary Plan
- Former Nepean
- Former Ottawa
- Former Rockcliffe
- Hurdman Secondary Plan
- Kanata West Secondary Plan
- Mer Bleue Urban Expansion Area Secondary Plan
- Montreal Road District Secondary Plan
- Old Ottawa East Secondary Plan
- Preston-Carling District Secondary Plan
- Richmond Road/Westboro Secondary Plan
- Scott Street Secondary Plan
- South Keys to Blossom Park, Bank Street Secondary Plan
- Stittsville Main Street Secondary Plan
- Tremblay, St. Laurent and Cyrville Secondary Plan
- Uptown Rideau Street Secondary Plan
- Wellington Street West Secondary Plan
- Westgate Secondary Plan
- Site Map