Carpooling is simple - just share a ride with other people who work or live near you. Some carpools have rotating drivers while others rely on a single person to drive, with passengers chipping in to cover expenses.
Joining a carpool can provide a number of benefits, from reducing costs to qualifying for a better parking spot. Passengers also benefit by having extra time to eat, read, sleep or socialize, all without the stress of driving in rush-hour traffic.
Carpooling can make sense for more than just commuting to work. Think about sharing a ride to the grocery store or the shopping mall, or on a trip to another city. Not only can you reduce your expenses, but you'll have more fun too.
Make your trip easy going!
OttawaRideMatch.com is a website that enables you to quickly and easily find people with whom to carpool. It is a free ride-matching system available to anyone who lives or works in the National Capital Region.
OttawaRideMatch.com offers a number of features, including:
- Flexible carpool scheduling
- Ability to search for matches along your route to work
- Ability to search for matches within your work group or based on your personal preferences.
- Carpooling saves you money. Depending on your vehicle and travel patterns, driving can cost you from 40 to 80 cents per kilometre. Sharing this cost makes cents.
- Carpooling provides you with a healthier ride to work by reducing the stress associated with driving in rush-hour traffic. Carpooling helps the environment and your community through reduced traffic congestion, lower accident rates and less pollution.
Facilitating carpooling is one way that the City is addressing traffic congestion and making the most of our transportation network.
MTO carpool lots
The Ministry of Transportation of Ontario provides free carpool parking lots near dozens of highway interchanges throughout Ontario. They are ideal places to meet up with your pre-arranged carpool partners before entering the highway system.
Frequently asked questions about carpooling
Who does the driving?
You and the other member(s) of your carpool decide. In some cases, participants will take turns, while in others there will only be one driver.
What if I don’t have a car?
This is not a problem. When registering, simply indicate that you only wish to be a
Do I have to carpool everyday?
No. You can carpool everyday, or only a couple of days a week. OttawaRideMatch.com allows you to indicate when you are available to carpool.