The Cafe Seating program allows businesses to place limited outdoor seating on the road allowance. A Café Seating Permit allows businesses to have a maximum of four tables with two chairs each against the wall of their building. At no time can alcohol be served at the cafe seating.
A Café Seating Permit is an annual permit.
- $165.40 annually
- $59.20 annual processing fee
- Approved upon application
- A completed application form [ PDF - 576 KB ]
- Proof of Commercial Liability Insurance
Issuance of a café seating permit is conditional upon the following requirements:
- Allowing at all times the required minimum unencumbered sidewalk width of 2.0 metres
- Not obstructing or interfering with public travel, any public service, or maintenance operations
- Tables and chairs must at all times be against the wall of the building
- Tables and chairs must be removed by 11 p.m. each night
- Maximum 2 permits per location
Who to contact
Applications are available at the Right of Way Permit Office, 100 Constellation Drive, 6 Floor East, 7:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m., 613-580-2424, ext. 16000 or call 3-1-1
Where to apply
Right of Way Permit Office, 100 Constellation Drive, 6 East, 613-580-2424, ext. 16000
Are you planning to open a restaurant, bakery, café, butcher shop or another type of food establishment? The City of Ottawa has resources to assist business owners who are starting to plan and operate a new food establishment, including the Business Ambassador Service and the online Food Premises Application tool available on My ServiceOttawa.