French Language Services (FLS) Branch was created in May 2001 following the adoption of the Bilingualism Policy by City Council. FLS’ mandate is to work with the municipal government to ensure that the Bilingualism Policy is implemented. It works with City departments to ensure they proactively provide French language services to residents and employees. FLS also coordinates the City’s translation services.
Functions and services
To this end, FLS:
- Supports the municipal administration and departments in the proactive delivery of French language services
- Provides guidance to City staff on the implementation of the Bilingualism Policy
- Assists departments in developing, implementing and evaluating programs and services offered in French to residents and employees
- Assists departments in adjusting their communications strategies to better reach the Francophone community
- Provides translation, revision, proofreading and terminology services citywide
- Receives and handles complaints pertaining to French language services on behalf of the City
- Supports the French Language Services Advisory Committee in fulfilling its mandate
Questions or comments about municipal services in French
For questions or comments pertaining to French language services at the City of Ottawa, please contact us:
- by dialling 613-580-2424, ext. 21000 or,
- by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.