Purpose of the Study
The purpose of this study is to prepare a Secondary Plan to guide future development in the Lincoln Fields Station Area that compliments the City’s new Official Plan. The main objective of the study and the secondary plan is to facilitate a more urbanized place through context sensitive design.
The study area boundary identifies what is approximately an 800-metre or 10-minute walk from the future Lincoln Fields LRT station, as well as lands outside of that in order to consider elements such as connectivity, infrastructure, or potential renewal. The study area is simply that and the final area for which the secondary plan applies will be determined through the study process. It will also be determined through the study process if Zoning By-law amendments are required.
In December 2019, the City officially launched the process for a Lincoln Fields Station Area Secondary Plan, with an open house held at Ron Kolbus Lakeside Center.
City staff were on hand to answer questions related to the study and Stage 2 Light Rail Transit, as well as receive input from the public on the study’s priorities and objectives.
In early 2020, the study took pause as the City’s process for a new Official Plan progressed. The purpose of a secondary plan is to hone in on site-specific considerations that are not reflected in the Official Plan and for that reason, draft Official Plan policies were needed in order to better inform the policies of the secondary plan.
With the release of the draft Official Plan, the Lincoln Fields Station Area Secondary Plan process will resume.
Objectives of the Study
- Engage the community to identify appropriate built-form, height, density, that is context sensitive and considerate of major elements such as Carling Avenue, Richmond Road, Lincoln Fields Station, and the existing communities.
- Identify opportunities to improve the public realm including connectivity.
- Ensure clarity for the community, the development industry, and city staff to guide the review of future development proposals for the area.
This planning study will not:
- Produce a Community Design Plan
- Influence the alignment of the LRT or the location of Lincoln Fields Station
- Prevent growth or development in the area