Stay informed! Sign up for the Montreal Road Revitalization e-newsletter.
The project limits for Montreal Road are North River Road to St. Laurent Boulevard for a total distance of 2 kilometres. In addition to the Montreal Road corridor, the project includes reconstruction of North River Road from Montreal Road to the North River Road cul-de-sac for a total distance of 560 metres length.
Key plan [ PDF - 377 KB ]
The City of Ottawa has completed the 18-month long detail design phase of the Montreal Road corridor and are now proceeding with the construction scheduled to start in June 2019.
The ultimate vision for Montreal Road is to construct a vibrant and welcoming main street with a well-balanced transportation network that will allow residents and businesses to thrive. To achieve this vision, some of the following aboveground and underground improvements are proposed:
- Construct a three-lane cross section between Vanier Parkway and St. Laurent Boulevard that includes two westbound lanes, one eastbound lane and cycling tracks/lanes in both directions.
- Bury overhead Hydro lines between North River Road and L’Eglise Street.
- Implement streetscaping features along Montreal Road, including but not limited to new street furniture, streetlights, trees, concrete sidewalks and paver stones.
- Review and improve bus stop and bus shelter locations.
- Replace the existing watermain between North River Road and St. Laurent Boulevard.
- Replace sanitary and storm sewers along certain sections of Montreal Road.
As part of the Montreal Road project, the 560 metre long section of North River Road (north of Montreal Road) is planned for reconstruction. The proposed works include replacement of the watermain, sanitary sewers and road drainage modifications.
Project construction is scheduled to start in late May/early June 2019 beginning with utility burial and upgrade works. A general summary of the construction timelines and project staging are as follows:
- Year 1 (2019) – Burial of overhead hydro power lines and other utility work on Montreal Road between North River Road and L’Eglise Street.
- Year 2 (2020) – Continued utility work including hydro burial as well as watermain and sewer construction on Montreal Road and North River Road (Montreal Road to north cul-de-sac). Complete section of Montreal Road between North River Road and the Vanier Parkway.
- Year 3 (2021) – Continued watermain, sewer and road work on Montreal Road between the Vanier Parkway and St Laurent Boulevard.
- Year 4 (2022) – Landscape and streetscape work as well as final lift of asphalt pavement on Montreal Road.
The above timelines and sequence of work may change as the work progresses along Montreal Road.
The City is making a significant investment to renew Montreal Road and North River Road (estimated at $49 million) with funding authority identified as part of the 2019 and 2020 capital budgets.
Some examples of public engagement for the project have included:
- Public information sessions – first public information session was held in April 2018. The second public information session was held on May 13, 2019.
- Meetings with the Vanier Community Association and Quartier Vanier BIA to provide project updates, receive feedback and answer questions.
- Working group meetings with members from the Vanier Community Association and Quartier Vanier BIA with the purpose of obtaining input on specific issues involving significant design decisions.
- Project newsletter (monthly to date, may be more frequent as construction ramps up).
- Regular communication with individual business owners and residents affected by the proposed improvements.
For further information, please contact the project team or alternatively, the City Project Manager:
Mario Kotowski, P.Eng.
Senior Engineer, Infrastructure Projects
Design and Construction Municipal Branch
Planning, Infrastructure and Economic Development Department
City of Ottawa
Tel: 613-580-2424, ext. 26075