The City of Ottawa is present on the following social media networks: Twitter, Facebook, YouTube, and Instagram. The content on these accounts is also available in French.
Social Media Accounts
If you follow us, you can expect content on:
- Newsworthy events involving the City;
- City initiatives and programs; and,
- Notifications that affect residents.
The City updates and monitors its social media accounts during regular business hours. Comments and tweets from users outside of these times will be reviewed at the beginning of the next business day.
Follows and Likes
The City may follow and like social media accounts from its partners or stakeholders. Please note that being followed or liked by the City does not imply endorsement of any kind.
Retweets and Shares
The City occasionally retweets and shares content that it deems of value to its audience. Retweeting and sharing by the City should not be interpreted as an endorsement of the originator or of any organization mentioned in the message.
Comments and Replies
The City welcomes feedback and ideas from its followers and fans. All comments and replies will be monitored, and any emerging themes or helpful suggestions will be passed to the relevant people in the organization.
To protect your own privacy and the privacy of others, please remember to not include any personal information, including addresses, phone numbers and e-mail addresses in your comments or replies.
Unfortunately, the City is not able to reply individually to all messages it receives via its social media networks.
To ensure that the conversation remains in good taste and a positive experience for everyone involved, comments and replies should be clean and respectful, in addition to being relevant and related to the posted topic on the City's social media account.
Any comments of the following nature may be deleted:
- Offensive, profane, hateful, insulting, rude, abusive, aggressive, violent, obscene, explicit, pornographic or sexual comments;
- Content that promotes, fosters or perpetuates discrimination on the basis of race, national or ethnic origin, age, creed, gender, marital status, socio-economic status, physical or mental disability, or sexual orientation;
- Personal attacks and/or defamatory statements;
- Serious, unproven, unsupported, or inaccurate accusations;
- Messages for advertising/marketing purposes;
- Messages that conduct or encourage illegal activity;
- Information that could compromise public safety, security or operations;
- Messages that impersonate or misrepresent someone else;
- Comments containing spam or posted by anonymous or robot accounts; and,
- Unintelligible messages.