Residential Services Homes

Residential Services Homes, also known as domiciliary hostels, are private or non-profit residences that provide long-term housing to vulnerable adults who require some supervision and services to maintain their independent living. Residents are typically living with a psychiatric, developmental or physical illness and/or disability. These homes offer a residential living environment that is safe and supportive for all residents.

Services include:

  • Furnished rooms (most are shared accommodation)
  • 24-hour urgent response
  • Medication management
  • Meals and snacks
  • Housekeeping and personal laundry
  • Social and/or recreational activities
  • Access to both on-site and other community-based services

The Residential Service Homes Standards [ 908 KB ] outline the City's expectations for service delivery and ensure that services are delivered with dignity and respect.

The City of Ottawa provides subsidy to residents on low income to help with the cost of their board and lodging in a residence.

Before you begin

Applicants must be willing to live in a group setting while sharing a room with one or more adults.

Important! Before you begin the application, read the Instruction Guide. It provides step by step instructions on how to fill out the application.


Eligibility is based on an admission assessment and financial assessment.

Admission assessment

To be eligible, a person must:

  • Be a resident of the City of Ottawa
  • Be 18 years of age, or older
  • Be a person living with psychiatric, developmental, physical illness and/or disability or frailty
  • Voluntarily agree to accept placement
  • Have an immigration status in Canada other than visitor, student, temporary work visa or sponsored immigrant
  • Be able to live in a group setting and display safe, respectful, and non-violent behaviour
  • Be able to bathe, dress, take care of one’s toileting or qualify for community care services to manage these needs independently
  • Be able to walk and change position or use an assistive device to move and change position independently
  • Manage community outings and transportation arrangements independently (unless services are offered as a part of a rural location)
  • Be compliant with prescribed medication/treatment plan and/or be medically stable as determined by a health professional
  • Be compliant with court ordered plan and/or community treatment order, if applicable
  • Manage alcohol and/or substance use choices responsibly and if applicable, be compliant with a prescribed addiction treatment program
  • Be able to manage finances independently or agree to have finances managed by a Power of Attorney for Finance, Public Guardian and Trustee, or consent to have money managed by the Operator

Financial assessment

To be eligible for a subsidy, a person must have limited financial resources and demonstrate they have applied for all available income.  Persons who are eligible for Ontario Works or the Ontario Disability Support Program (ODSP) are deemed financially eligible for the subsidy. A person with another source of income may qualify for a subsidy if their asset level is less than $40,000 and their current net monthly income is less than $1861.70 (subject to change).  Couples are treated as separate applicants regardless of their choice of living situation

What you need

  • Identification from an official government identification (e.g., birth certificate)
  • Proof of current address (e.g., lease)
  • List of assets (e.g., bank statement or trust account)
  • Income (e.g., pay stub, statement from Ontario Works or ODSP or OAS)

Refer to the ‘Information/Document Checklist’ of the Instruction Guide [ 402 KB ] for a complete list of the required documents.


Residents who qualify for a subsidy must contribute their monthly income to board and lodging costs less $149 for personal needs. 


To apply for a subsidy:

  1. Read the Instruction Guide [ 402 KB ] for step by step instructions before completing the application.
  2. Complete Part 1 – Applicant Information [ 402 KB ] (To change language preference, modify your computer settings).
  3. Ask a health care professional such as a doctor, nurse or social worker to complete Part 2 – Health Information [ 317 KB ] (To change language preference, modify your computer settings).
  4. Submit both parts of the application form to Community Supports.





Community Supports
370 Catherine Street, 3rd floor
Ottawa  ON
K1R 5T5


All information you provide is confidential as per the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act.

What's next

A Residential Care Service Worker will meet with you to verify information provided on admission assessment and financial assessment to approve your subsidy.

The worker will then coordinate the placement of a resident who has been determined eligible for a subsidy by matching the resident’s unique profile to the services/features offered within the database of residential services homes.

For a list of the homes, ‘Visit a local residence by taking a virtual tour!

If you do not qualify for a subsidy, we will contact you and give you the reasons why.  If you disagree with this decision, you may appeal the decision.


For more information:


 613-580-2424, ext. 26586