The course is suitable for individuals working in the health care setting (nurses, sports medicine medical and dental professionals) and other targeted responders such as; fire services, lifeguard or response team that require a first aid certificate as well as a Basic Life Support (formerly Health Care Provider CPR C & AED).
The recertification is intended for individuals holding a valid Standard First Aid Certification (2-days) needing to recertify who also hold a valid Basic Life Saving (Health Care Provider CPR). A certification is only deemed to be valid if the expiration date on the card has not passed. Students with an expired certification, must take the full 2-day Standard First Aid Certification . In addition, students who took the recertification course the previous time, must take the full 2-day Standard First Aid Certification course again instead (this will be indicated on the first aid certificate).
In order to attend the course, students must provide proof of a valid certification at the beginning of the course. Students unable to provide a valid certification at the time of the course will not be permitted to attend.
This course is approved by WSIB for workplace first aid requirements and teaches the latest CPR guidelines.
This course is a certified first aid prerequisite for those wishing to register in LSS National Lifeguard Service.
Duration: Eight hours
Cost: $120.58 + tax ($136.25)
Certification: Valid for three years
- Scene management, primary and secondary assessment
- Anatomy and physiology
- Advanced CPR for Adult, child and infant
- Choking procedures
- Use of barrier device and bag-valve mask (BVM)
- Automated external defibrillation (AED)
- Heart attack, angina, stroke and transient ischemic attack (TIA)
- Bleeding, burns and eyes
- Sprains, strains, dislocations and fractures
- Head, spinal, chest and abdominal Injuries
- Diabetes, asthma, anaphylaxis, poisoning and seizures
- Hyperthermia and hypothermia
- Moving and lifting