3rd Annual Pumpkin Derby
Saturday, October 28, 2017, Aberdeen Pavilion, 10 am
Registration Deadline: Thursday, October 26, 2017
Register at ottawa.ca/recreation or in-person at the Horticulture Building
Division 1 (14 years and younger) 1133855
Division 2 (15 years and older) 1133854
Design a pumpkin race car, build it, and let your imagination run wild to create an eye-catching racer. Compete for prizes and bragging rights at The 3rd Annual Lansdowne Park Pumpkin Derby!! It’s a gravity race; the pumpkin racers roll down a ramp and hopefully make it to the finish line. The first pumpkin racer to cross the finish line will be the winner of the heat and move on to the next round. If none of the racers make it to the finish line the winner of the heat will be the car closest to the finish line. In the event of a tie there will be a second run down the ramp to determine the winner. All participants have a minimum of three races.
9:30 am to 10:30 am: Pumpkin Race car “drivers” check-in
10:30 am to 11 am: Pumpkin racers on display in Pumpkin Pit Row for the judges to view/costume judging
11am to 1:30 pm: Pumpkin races
1:30 pm to 2 pm: Awards ceremony
Prizes in each division will be awarded as follows (22 prizes):
Top 3 Fastest Pumpkin Racers: based on time trials. (Fastest time down the track-must cross finish line)
Top 3 Pumpkin Racers: based on Head to head races in triple elimination.
Top 3 Best Decorated Pumpkin Racers: based on design, detail, creativity and originality.
Most spectacular Pumpkin Car crash: based on audience response.
Best dressed race car “driver”
1.The pumpkin race car must be crafted using a single, real pumpkin.
2.The pumpkin race car must be created by inserting two independent axles through the pumpkin; with wheels attached to the axles.
3.The two axles may not be connected together in any way.
4.The pumpkin cannot be attached to a prefabricated chassis of any kind (skateboard, stroller, toy truck, etc.)
5. Pumpkin cars, including wheels and decorations, cannot exceed 50cm in width.Derby pumpkins must only be powered by gravity. No motors, fans, pyrotechnics or any other means of propelling the pumpkin car are permitted.
6. Pumpkin cars must be decorated in a creative way.
7. Pumpkin cars may not be pushed or boosted in any way at the starting line.
8. Pumpkin cars must be fully constructed and ready to race upon check-in.
9. The competition will take place rain or shine. Weather conditions and/or the number of participants may dictate changes in scheduling and programming.
10. Pumpkin cars must be registered in the appropriate age division.
11. The competition takes place on municipally owned land, and contestants participate at their own risk.
12. Any dispute concerning the competition or its rules will be referred to the City of Ottawa and the decision will be final.
13. The City of Ottawa reserves the right to create visual documentation and to use this material for promotion and information without indemnity to participants.
14. The pumpkin decoration must be in good taste and appropriate for all ages. The City has full discretion to disqualify pumpkins that are deemed offensive.
15. The pumpkin car may not represent a commercial product or incorporate a commercial or organizational logo.
16. Pumpkins must complete the race upright on their axles; toppling pumpkins will be disqualified.
Pumpkin Racer Tips:
- Make sure your axles are parallel.
- Make sure you have enough ground clearance; the course can be uneven
- Make sure your wheels spin freely.
- Make sure your axles are securely attached; nuts and washers are recommended.
- A bigger pumpkin does not necessarily make a faster pumpkin racer.
Pumpkin Racer Workshops
Get hands-on guidance while learning how to build a pumpkin racer before competing in the Pumpkin Derby! All you need to bring is your pumpkin, all other materials are provided. Adult attendance required for children under 15.
October 26, 6:30 to 8:30 pm 1134479
October 27, 6:30 to 8:30 pm 1134480