Save money and water with the City’s High Volume User (HVU) Program. The HVU Program offers rebates to property owners for installing eligible water efficient toilets, urinals, spray valves and commercial dishwashers and washing machines.
What are the benefits?
Inefficient use of water increases utility costs and places undue stress on the environment. These negative outcomes can often be avoided by retrofitting inefficient fixtures with devices which use less water while providing equal or superior performance. The HVU program aims to offset the costs when retrofitting water fixtures by providing rebates. Find out how these Ottawa organizations benefitted from the High Volume User Program:
- Ottawa Community Housing Bank Street location cut $78,000 from its annual water bill
- Osgoode Properties sees return on investment eight months after installing water efficient toilets
- Ramphos Holdings Inc. saves money with water efficient toilets and washing machines
Are you eligible?
The business or facility must be built before 1996, located in the City of Ottawa and be either:
An industrial, commercial or institutional property consuming a minimum of 25,000 m3 of water per year
A multi-residential property with six or more units.
Ready to apply?
- Complete the Screening and Application form [ PDF - 196 KB].
- Before removing old fixtures and appliances, take photos of what is being replaced.
- Send completed form and photos for review to:
City of Ottawa
951 Clyde Avenue
Ottawa, ON K1Z 5A6
Once your application has been approved, you will receive more information about next steps.
Frequently asked questions
Which toilet should I purchase?
Review the maximum performance (MaP) testing information to ensure the toilets you are considering meet the HVUP criteria. Toilet selection will be reviewed by the City as part of the screening form review and approval process.
What dollar rebate values are available?
Qualifying applications may receive:
- Toilets: $50 rebate for single-flush and dual flush high-efficiency toilets
- Urinals: $60 rebate for 3.8L or less; $75 rebate for waterless urinals
- Spray valves: 50% of the pre-tax price, to a maximum of $200
- Commercial dishwashers and washing machines: 25% of the pre-tax price, to a maximum of $1,000
The total maximum rebate is $10,000 per tax roll number.
Is there a deadline for completing the work?
After a project is approved, applicants must complete the work within 18 months.
Contact the City of Ottawa at 3-1-1 or send an e-mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
High Volume User success stories
Find out how local property owners have benefitted from the High Volume User Program.
Ottawa Community Housing
In 2011, the Ottawa Community Housing Corporation (OCH) installed 144 water-efficient toilets at a facility located on Bank Street.
|Water conserved:||~20,000 m3 of water/year|
|Rebate received:||$7,200 rebate|
|Return on investment:||1 year|
In 2011, Osgoode Properties installed 122 water-efficient toilets in their building.
|Water conserved:||~14,000 m3 of water/year|
|Rebate received:||$6,100 rebate|
|Return on investment:||8 months|
Ramphos Holdings Inc.
From 2011-2012, Ramphos Holdings Inc. installed 18 water-efficient toilets and 2 water-efficient washing machines.
|Water conserved:||~400 m3 of water/year|
|Rebate received:||$1,643 rebate|
|Return on investment:||Five years|