A by-law of the City of Ottawa to establish the position and duties of City Manager of the City of Ottawa, including statutory powers.
The Council of the City of Ottawa enacts as follows:
Section 1 - Definitions
In this by-law, “City Manager” means the City Manager of the City of Ottawa. The City Manager is the City’s Chief Administrative Officer under the Municipal Act, 2001.
Section 2 - Establishment of the position of City Manager
The position of City Manager for the City of Ottawa is hereby established for the purposes of Section 229 of the Municipal Act, 2001, S.O. 2001, c.25, as amended, which provides that a municipality may appoint a Chief Administrative Officer who shall be responsible for,
- exercising general control and management of the affairs of the municipality for the purpose of ensuring the efficient and effective operation of the municipality; and
- performing such other duties as are assigned by the municipality.
Section 3 - Responsibilities
Subject to the will of City Council, as well as to the policies established by the City from time to time, the City Manager shall be the Chief Administrative Officer of the City pursuant to the Municipal Act, 2001, and shall have supervision over, and direction of, the general administration of the City and the officers and employees thereof, and shall have such other powers commensurate with the role of City Manager as described in the City’s Delegation of Authority By-law and duties as from time to time may be conferred upon or assigned to the City Manager by City Council or the Mayor.
Section 4 - Accountability
- The City Manager shall be accountable to Council for the exercise of all the powers, duties and functions delegated to the City Manager by statute, this by-law, any other enactment, any other by-law, and any resolutions, policies or procedures adopted by Council from time to time whether such powers, duties and functions are exercised by the City Manager personally, or by someone to whom the City Manager has delegated that power, duty or function.
- The City Manager shall carry out their powers, duties and functions in compliance with:
- the Municipal Act, 2001;
- this by-law;
- any other enactment;
- any other by-law, resolution, policy or procedure passed or adopted by Council; and/or
- any contract binding on the City.
Section 5 - Appointment of City Manager
- City Council shall, by public resolution, appoint a person to the position of City Manager for a term to be determined by Council, and shall specify the terms and conditions of such appointment.
- Recruitment, appointment and contract administration for the City Manager shall be conducted in accordance with the Statutory Officer Recruitment, Appointment and Contract Administration Policy and Procedures.
- The appointment of a person to the position of City Manager may be made, suspended or revoked only by a two-thirds majority vote of all members of City Council.
Enacted and passed this 27 day of January, 2021.