Declare property status

Declarations can be made from January to the Interim Tax due date (the third Thursday in March). This year the deadline for submitting your declaration is March 21, 2024.

What you need

To make your declaration, you will need: 

  • Property tax roll number and access code. Alternatively, you can log in through your MyServiceOttawa account. 
  • Full name and contact details (phone number and email) of the person making the declaration 
  • Details on the occupancy of your unit(s) 
  • Additional information to support an exemption, if applicable 

Additional information or documentation may be required. Examples of additional information include but are not limited to: 

  • Start and end dates of occupancy 
  • Date of death 
  • Court or government order numbers 
  • Construction permit numbers and brief descriptions of the project(s)

Submit declaration


With a My ServiceOttawa account

A My ServiceOttawa account allows you to submit, view and edit declarations along with view and pay property taxes.

Declare using My ServiceOttawa

Don't have a My ServiceOttawa account

Create an account

Without a My ServiceOttawa account

Declare using the Vacant Unit Tax Declaration Form

How to complete the online form

Complete the residential Vacant Unit Tax online declaration today.
It takes less than five minutes.
Visit or login to your MyServiceOttawa property tax account
Enter your roll number and access code in “property search”.
Enter your name, phone number, and email in “contact information”.
Choose whether the unit is your principal residence, occupied by tenants, a permitted occupant, or none of the above.
If occupied by tenants or a permitted occupant, provide start and end dates of their occupancy in the previous year.
If other, provide a reason for the vacancy – some circumstances may exempt you from the VUT. Verify your information in “summary”, and you’re done – a confirmation will be sent by email.




Call 613-580-2401 and ask the operator to be connected with the City of Ottawa. 

Canada Video Relay Services

Canada VRS is a service that allows Canadians who are Deaf, hard of hearing or speech-impaired to make phone calls using internet and cellphone-based technologies. Callers using VRS are connected with a sign language interpreter who provides real time interpretation for telephone calls. This allows callers to express themselves in their first language, American Sign Language (ASL) or Langue des signes québécoise (LSQ). 

Tell your Canada VRS interpreter to call 613-580-2444. 


Walk-ins will be accepted between 9 am - 4 pm.

  • Revenue Services, 100 Constellation Drive, 4th Floor East (priority will be given to scheduled appointments)
  • Laurier Client Service Centre, 110 Laurier Avenue West
  • Nepean Client Service Centre, 101 Centrepointe Drive
  • Kanata Client Service Centre, 580 Terry Fox Drive 
  • Orleans Client Service Centre, 255 Centrum Boulevard 
  • Metcalfe Client Service Centre, 8243 Victoria Street (open Tuesday)
  • West Carleton Client Service Centre, 5670 Carp Road (open Wednesday)
  • North Gower Client Service Centre, 2155 Roger Stevens Drive (open Thursday)

What's next

Once your declaration is submitted, a confirmation email will be sent to the email address entered on the declaration form. If the residential property has been declared or deemed vacant for more than 184 days in the previous calendar year and does not meet one of the exceptions, then the Vacant Unit Tax will be applied to your property. A two-stage appeal process is available to property owners who wish to have the results of their declaration reviewed.