Water utility bills are issued once every two months for most residential properties and every month for larger consumers. The City of Ottawa offers a variety of payment options for your water utility bill so you can find the method that is most convenient for you.
Any balance will become due on the regular due dates and outstanding balances will be charged interest at a rate of 0.0417% per day after the due date, every 15 days thereafter and before each bill.
Partial payments are applied first toward the outstanding interest, penalty and fees, then to the oldest outstanding water utility charges.
There are 5 different payment options to pay your water utility bill:
- Financial Institution (online, telebanking, or in-person)
- Online by debit or credit card
- Pre-authorized debit (PAD)
- In-person at Client Service Centre (Limited services due to COVID-19, see Client Service Centres for more information)
Depending on the payment option, a charge may apply which will be noted in the Payment Options.
Other Applicable Fees
- Should payment not be received following the due date, a reminder notice will be issued, which is subject to a fee. If payment is not received following this notice, further collection activities will be taken and interest will continue to accrue on the arrears.
- If your payment cannot be processed or is not otherwise honoured by the bank you will be charged a fee for each account the payment was originally applied to.
- If a payment must be transferred from one account to another, a service fee applies. If you have moved or you have more than one water utility account, you must ensure all your accounts have been individually set up for payments. E-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have misapplied payment.
- A service fee applies when producing a refund to cover the cost of refunding credits to clients when credits are not the result of an error by the City.
Most financial institutions offer online, telephone or in-person bill payments.
To set up an online or telephone banking payment, use the 15-digit customer-account number shown on your bill as the account number to be paid and City of Ottawa-Water as the payee. If you have trouble finding the payee name, please reach out directly to your financial institution.
Please allow at least 3 business days for the City to receive payment from your financial institution.
Most financial institutions have a cut-off time for payment processing and do not process weekend or holiday payments until the next business day. The City of Ottawa will honour the date stamp your financial institution has used to date your payment.
If your payments are made through your bank, you will need to update your payment settings to your new account number.
Online by Payment Card
When paying online by credit card or Interac Debit, a service fee of 1.99% is applied by the service provider, Paymentus Corporation. Residents can pay water utility bills online with MasterCard, VISA, American Express (AMEX), Interac Online, Mastercard Debit and Visa Debit.
There are two ways to access the payment card website called Paymentus:
- My ServiceOttawa and select your account listed under “Water Utility Bill,” then select “Pay bills” from the menu options or;
- The secure Paymentus payment system
Payments made before 10:00 p.m. will be credited to your water utility account on the next business day. Payments made after 10:00 p.m. will be credited to your water utility account within two business days.
You will receive an on-screen confirmation number and an email receipt which will include the service the third-party provider, Paymentus Corporation.
For more information on Paymentus, please refer to our Paymentus page.
Pre-Authorized Debit (PAD) Plan
Your current bill must be paid in full before you can enroll in the plan and the amount due on your bill will be processed on the due date.
To enroll, log into My ServiceOttawa and navigate to your registered water utility account (if you have not yet registered your water billing account, follow these instructions). Select the blue menu option titled “Pre-authorized debit” and follow the on-screen prompts. If you do not already have a My ServiceOttawa account, you may register for one.
Alternatively, print and complete the Pre-Authorized Debit (PAD) Plan Form and attach a void cheque. Email, fax or mail using the information listed on the form. If you require a hardcopy of this form, you may request one in writing to email@example.com or to:City of Ottawa, Revenue Services
100 Constellation Drive, 4th Floor East
Ottawa ON K2G 6J8
Please include your name and address.
Authorization is not required each year. Customers on the PAD Plan with more than three dishonoured payments in a 12-month period will be removed from the plan.
Your pre-authorized debit (PAD) plan is NOT transferable. You must complete a new application form.
City of Ottawa Client Service Centre
Limited services due to COVID-19, see Client Service Centres for more information.
Due to COVID-19, you can currently pay in person by dropping off a cheque at one of the secure payment drop-boxes located outside the main entrances of the following locations:
- Kanata Client Service Centre at 580 Terry Fox Drive
- Orleans Client Service Centre at 255 Centrum Boulevard
Please bring your water bill with you and make cheques or money orders payable to City of Ottawa and write your customer-account number on the front or include the bill stub with payment.
By MailCity of Ottawa - Water and Sewer
PO Box 4648 STN A
Please include your water utility bill stub and allow sufficient time between your mail date and the due date for the payment to be processed on time. Do not fold, staple or stamp on payment stub. Make cheques or money orders payable to City of Ottawa and write your customer-account number on the front or include the bill stub with payment.
The number of payments received by mail is very low and continues to decrease. As equipment required to process such payments comes at a high cost, a decision was made in 2012 to contract the processing to the City’s financial institution whose office operates at a Toronto location.
For questions concerning your water utility bill:
- Visit us at the City of Ottawa water billing page.
- Login to your My ServiceOttawa account to review: your current balance, your most recent transactions; your current or past bills; etc.
- Call the City of Ottawa Revenue Services at 613-580-2444 (TTY: 613-580-2401) Transactions will be recorded for training and quality assurance. The City of Ottawa hours of operations are Monday to Friday, 8:00 am to 4:30 pm (June to August, 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m). Please have your service address and the customer-account number listed on your bill available
For technical help regarding online card payment:
- Contact the Paymentus Call Centre: 819-525-2108. This support hotline is a 24 hour, 7 days a week service available in both English and French
- Email Paymentus Customer Care at firstname.lastname@example.org
For help with My ServiceOttawa:
Submit technical issues using the feedback button on My ServiceOttawa page